Author Topic: Honey suckle  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Honey suckle
« on: September 22, 2021, 01:45:28 pm »
Anyone ever try bush honey suckle for shoot arrows? I just cut a bunch and I'm gonna try it but I was curious if anyone else has given it a whirl
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Honey suckle
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
I've been curious about this, too.  My yard is just lousy with the stuff and I'd love to trim it back.  I can tell you, it makes really nice smelling firewood!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 04:24:31 pm »
It's so invasive around here, if it turns out well I'll have a lifetime supply of good arrow material.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 04:49:04 pm »
It's so invasive around here, if it turns out well I'll have a lifetime supply of good arrow material.
Yeah, same here!  Keep us posted!  I've been reading a bit, and some people over on paleo said it makes good shafts but not as strong as the more common woods.  If you google "honeysuckle bow," you'll find that quite a few people have made bows from the stuff, but I think they're using other species than bush honeysuckle.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 04:54:21 pm »
Cut a bunch, bundle them together and give them a few months. By then you should be able to tell.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 08:35:53 pm »
I cut about 15 Pat, debarked them after work and I'm gonna speed dry em in my truck. I cut larger ones recently for other projects and they never checked except on the ends so I feel pretty confident about helping the drying process along.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 10:37:26 pm »
 :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 10:49:14 pm »
Why do people bundle the arrow shoots? Wouldn't they dry faster separated, or does it keep them straighter?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:39:34 am »
Allyn, it helps keep them straight. I use rubber bands to bundle shoots so it keeps them packed together , keeping them from warping.For me, shoots generally dry in a month or two and I usually don't remove the bark until they are dry(except for sourwood which usually don't check while drying). We are coming into a drier time of year so shaft drying can be quicker. Still, the best arrows are made from shoots that have dried for at least a year.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 11:00:42 am »
I'm in no hurry to use them, more like I'm ready to try the arrow making process and see how is goes. I'm gonna document as I go. They straightened pretty well last night. I did break one though bending it too far.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 11:30:22 am »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:08 pm »
If you do a little hand straightening every other day or so they will be pretty straight after a few weeks. They still have to dry but it will put you a little ahead of the game.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 01:58:30 pm »
That is my plan Pat. Do you try to straighten them all away straight or do you get them closer towards straight every time?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:22:53 pm »
Doing it over time is the best method. IMO  I usually start with the most severe bends then set them aside, then the next worst and so on. You have to let them rest and cool completely before moving to the next session or you could loose what you've already done. It doesn't take much time each session, maybe 15 minutes then set them aside, on a flat surface until the next session.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 07:54:35 pm »
What do you mean by heat? I am just bending them no heat added