Author Topic: First self-bow kill, big old PA buck  (Read 4167 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
First self-bow kill, big old PA buck
« on: September 22, 2021, 10:45:48 pm »
Last night I killed a big old PA buck with my homemade stick bow!  This is my first self-bow kill and I’m still in a bit of shock.  I’m also overwhelmed with gratitude for what was likely be the greatest hunting accomplishment of my life. 

Yesterday was hot, raining, and basically the worst possible archery hunting weather.  One of those days where all my good sense tells me to stay home but the passion for hunting demands otherwise.  A friend has let me hunt his 3 acre back yard for several years.  He knows my struggles and determination with hunting with my homemade bows. 

I’ve spent about a decade archery hunting and building self-bows and enjoy teaching others to do the same.  Though I’ve killed many deer with my modern equipment, I had yet to have any big game success with a self-bow.  I went out this hot rainy September afternoon with great excitement as always, but realistic expectations about enjoying the experience but not expecting success.  Typically the deer will be too far away (greater than 15 yards) or just generally not cooperative with whatever plan I laid. 

Though my expectations were typical my preparation this year was not.  I learned about properly spine testing arrows, sharpening hunting points, improve my anchor position for better aiming, and implemented daily shooting routine.  Hell I even brought my target to my hunting spots and shot several arrows before I began hunting.  I worked hard to ensure Lady Luck’s part in this play was as small as possible.

I was standing behind a tree in a small circle of trees and bushes about 20 yards from the wood line.  The deer typically walk around this island to the right or left which would likely present a much needed close shot opportunity.  I found clear markers around the 15 yard marks, which is within my shooting confidence zone.  The wait began.

About an hour in I see a 4 point and doe emerge through a thick bush in my cover.  I raise my bow a bit and intensify my stare in preparation.  Then my friend’s babysitter emerges from the house 100 yards uphill to get something from her car, sending the deer running back into the woods.  I smile and the wait starts over.

About an hour later the same 4 point begins to walk through the woods towards me.  I stand motionless and staring intently at his antlers.  Not because I’m particularly concerned with that sort of thing but because my hunting area has a 3 point up minimum requirement.  And no matter how hard I squinted and hoped, another point wouldn’t grow out of his rack.  So I relaxed a bit and enjoyed the show.

As the deer walked off, I noticed two bucks about 50 yards in the woods.  They were clearly legal and I began to hope that they decided to go the same path as my 4 pointed friend.  I begin to replace any excitement I’m feeling with calmness, readiness, and focus. 

Then out of nowhere the biggest oldest buck I have seen walks directly into my lane at 15 yards!  Before I could think, my arms lifted and drew my 52 pound osage recurve.  I centered the arrow on my pupil and picked a spot on the massive deer’s body.  The big old buck took one step away from me to begin turning in the direction of the other two bucks.  I quickly let out a “maaaaat” as he glanced back toward me and turned back broadside.  My fingers relaxed and the arrow took flight.

I watched my 32 inch arrow thump into the buck and bury almost to the fletchings.  It was a few inches back but likely a solid liver shot with penetration straight through the massive body.  In a state of shock and excitement I instantly said to myself, “I did it!” knowing the shot would be lethal.  The buck ran into the thick woods and disappeared as quickly as he appeared.  Though it was not the quick run of a young buck.  Instead, the deer’s size gave it an effect of almost starting the run in slow motion weighed down by its size and age. 

I quietly gathered my gear and snuck back to my truck away from the deer.  I didn’t want any chance of bumping the buck if he bedded down.  I gave him several hours due to the hit being slightly back.  After a nightmare of a search in the rain through thorn bushes, downed trees, and overgrown grass with the help of my brother and step son, I found him!  I couldn’t believe he traveled almost 300 yards before bedding up.  Though I can imagine having an arrow sticking out both of your sides can instill an increased sense of urgency when fleeing. 

Up to that point I had no idea how big his rack was.  All I remembered was a flash of thick antler attached to the massive body that only exists on a very mature deer.  Looking down at him I realized the coolness of the dark mature 10 point rack but my attention is quickly diverted to the massiveness of his body.  I’m overwhelmed with feelings of admiration and accomplishment. 

In life I’ve found that the more work I put into something the more meaningful and fulfilling it can be.  This has never proven truer than last night.  The people I have to thank, like the hours put into bow making and hunting, are far too numerous to count.  So to my father (who introduced me to hunting), my brother (whom I continue to make new hunting tales with), and the countless people who have helped me on this amazing adventure, thank you!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline portlandfire

Re: First self-bow kill, big old PA buck
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:44:11 am »
Very   nice!  Your persistence paid off.  Be proud..

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:50 am »
Excellent and congratulations!!!! Good looking deer.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 03:28:27 am »
Congratulation! Beautiful deer and engaging story  )P(

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 07:05:35 am »
Congratulations on a beautiful buck!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:34:40 am »
Congratulations. That awesome hunt. Just love those  adrenaline filled seconds that turn into a successful harvest.

You are so right about putting the work into it making it so much more meaningful. I’m guessing you would really like to do it again. I’m pretty sure you will.

Once again Congratulations

Bjrogg

PS looks like somebody need to start a new 2021 hunting pictures thread. We have a few successful harvests now
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 07:41:04 am »
 :OK  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:12 am »
Awesome story,  felt like I was there with you.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 12:36:37 pm »
Awesome Rob.  Bob

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 02:45:35 pm »
Congratulations on a difficult accomplishment!

Offline wildwills

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 02:50:45 pm »
Beautiful buck, Congratulations!
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:31 pm »
That is badass, couldn't have picked a better deer to be your first. Congratulations on the kill
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 01:44:37 am »
Way to go!  I suspect that will bw a wall hanger!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 05:18:16 am »
Congratulations! Great story and a great looking ol buck!

My first selfbow kill wasn't as eventful but as you discribed, very memorable.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 06:57:49 am »
Wow, great looking buck. Congratulations.  :OK