Author Topic: Mr. Gary Davis  (Read 8548 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Mr. Gary Davis
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 01:08:19 pm »
Just good memories.

RIP Gary.

Bjrogg

PS I was looking for this thread yesterday thinking it would be in the campfire section.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stoner

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 01:34:09 pm »
One of the good ones. He was the first one that I met when I started building selfbows. Rest In Peace ol' friend. John

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 09:56:34 am »
What a great man and teacher...so many of us owe our journey in self bows to him...😢😢😢... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 05:17:43 am »
RIP.
The good always leave too soon

Offline Patches

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 02:24:56 pm »
First time I ever met Gary was at Mojam.  Someone had a bow that had a splinter lifting up on it, and Gary went right to work showing them how to repair it.  I had never seen anyone with so much enthusiasm and passion about self bows, and patience when teaching people about them.

He will truly be missed.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 04:57:37 pm »
I remember arguing some minor point with him at the Tennessee Classic. While we disagreed at the approach to solving the minor bow making quandary I could not get upset with him because I knew his interests were exactly the same as mine....a successful build.

His goal all along was to help people with successful builds, and any way he could.

I don't know if I have talked of this here before, but part of my mourning process when we lose one of our own is to pick out one of my better arrows and break it. Gary's arrow will be, of course, one of the very best I own.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 11:23:36 pm »
The wood bow community has lost another master of the arts. I have ordered a few blanks after long discussions over the phone and long talks at Marshall, Kalamazoo and Grayling, I always lidtened intently to what he had to say. Gary you where and still are a pinnacle in my bowyer adventure and your memory will never get lost with me. Thank you kind sir..... I lost a very good family friend a couple days before Gary and I always shoot a wayward arrow for those who have moved on and I launched one for Gary as well.....
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 02:26:52 am »
I don't remember meeting Gary, but the loss of another master bowyer is sad, indeed!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 06:45:14 pm »
It's been hard to even speak the past several days
Had a good friend we buried at the same time that Gary was
A young friend who's death made no sense in our finite minds
Anyway beginning to come out of the numbness now and starting to remember the good times
I have actually been missing Gary for a few years with his need for the breathing machine he has not been to as many events as He was before that time
The most cherished memories for me are actually not the late night times albeit they are great ,but the early morning walks to stretch our legs especially at Hastings and Cloverdale
It's been awhile now and many of those events have little or no draw for me anymore
I can tell y'all that in my mind I will be walking side by side with Gary for more mornings in the future
Y'all hold your loved ones tight and tell them you love them everyday for today could be the last walk for any of us
I love all you , my archery brothers and sisters and hope to see ya somewhere along the trail !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 06:49:03 pm »
That's a good reminder, Guy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 01:08:59 am »
Well said, Guy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:32 am »
Nicely said Guy.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2023, 09:20:05 pm »
  I have been out of touch for some time and had not heard this news. I am very saddened and agree with all that everyone have said about this fine man. I will be be launching a custom arrow from the top of a high cliff on a big mountain and just let it fly and fly and in  tribute to this great archer. RIP Gary.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell