Author Topic: 51" how come / why for bow (60# @ 25" hard maple)  (Read 16435 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 51" how come / why for bow (60# @ 25" hard maple)
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
Thanks slimbob & bowmo.....The only reason for using the hard maple is that's what I could get to and required the least work. It's been between 20 and 15 below zero for most of the days with a high all the way to nine above and 20 and 30 mph winds......working outdoors in that stuff is not on this old man's agenda >:D Hell my wife wont go out long enough to even take a picture, I'm still hearing about the one she took from inside the door that I posted.
rich

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »
Great looking bow, I really appreciate your posts, they're always chalk full of new and exciting techniques from the old ones.  There is an art to re-creating the old ways, and you sir have got the touch :)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 03:56:38 pm »
Exactly PC.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 10:27:12 am »
Thanks for posting this Rich.  I always enjoy seeing what you are up to in the cold North.  I think that I agree with you for the most part, and I think I have identified one factor that makes these bows so prevalent.  I cut all my own bow wood and use a lot of white woods and a lot of osage orange, and regardless of species, it is much easier to find a stave 5' long or a shorter, that is close to perfect (no knots, cracks, imperfections of any kind) than a six foot piece without some type of imperfection to deal with.  I have no doubt that the Native Americans found out, as I have, that a perfect stave,  52" long makes a helluva bow - likely much better than a longer stave which has areas that are not so perfect.  I am just saying that long perfect staves are much harder to come by in nature than a shorter one.  I like my longer bows too, but if you dumped me out in the woods with a hatchet and a knife to root hog or die, I would be looking for a shorter bendy handle bow.  Merry Christmas!   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi