Author Topic: Layout Question  (Read 873 times)

Offline Oldvol

Layout Question
« on: September 27, 2021, 05:11:09 pm »
Getting ready to try my first self bow out of a hickory stave. It will be an American Flatbow design 66” long, 2” wide. The stave has a slight reflex in the middle which is where I plan to put the handle. One end of the stave has 2 adjacent knots right on the edge of my layout. Should I take the layout outside of the knots and leave the opposite side straight or should I take it inside the knots and transfer the curvature to the opposite side maintaining the 2” width?

Offline Oldvol

Re: Layout Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 05:12:37 pm »

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 06:43:33 pm »
Thinking about this kind of thing always drives me crazy during layout.  One thing to consider is the angle of the knot as it passes through the rest of the stave.  If it angles in, for example, you might not be able to get past it all the way down to the belly.  If you go to the inside, I wouldn't worry too much about following the curve of the wiggly side on the other - just follow the grain on both.  It looks like directly transferring the curves would cut through the grain on the RH side.     

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply Timbo. The knots do angle in so I guess I should go outside and just have a wide spot at that point in the limb. Either way I will learn something.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:20:24 pm »
Just be sure you follow the longitudinal grain around the knots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:23 pm »
 I would rough that profile and leave both layout lines at first. Then reduce the belly.  You will then have an even better idea of what the knots are doing, and how much of an angle, they run.

Decide then what is the best option. That being said its hickory, 2" wide so its hard to go wrong.

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:43:15 pm »
Good idea. Thanks.