Author Topic: design question  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Manolovis

design question
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:46:51 am »
Kia ora every one
 I wanted  to experiment on new designs, and the esthetic of the 5 curves (South Indian style) really appeal to me. however whatever information i find about a setback in the handle doesn't seem to be favorable to the performance of the bow ( i.e: add more reason for the bow to take set, makes the bow unstable, etc). so my question is: what are the benefits of a 5 curves and more specifically a setback in the handle ?

Offline Hamish

Re: design question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 09:35:42 pm »
yeah, but they look cool. :D

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 04:05:49 am »
If it's for experimentation, give it a try! They are beautiful, and there's some good examples on this forum. You could reduce set by making it longer, wider, lower draw weight, etc and then see where performance and aesthetics intersect to give you a bow you really like. Sorry I don't have any info on performance or design. I just want to see your finished product!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:56:33 am »
No real advantage in performance. More curves more mass. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
I f you like a design focus on the reasons  why you like it and less on trying to talk yourself out of it.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 02:49:07 pm »
I tried it me early on in my bow making. It was a dog! Maybe some could be   me because it was a early on bow but we will eventually get back to the mass if you want fast. If not have fun anyway.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 02:40:05 am »
It's not so much the 'curves' per se its the way the setback handle forces the limb to bend away from the handle, storing less energy and stacking early. You can offset this somewhat by adding to recurves to keep string angle low but even then you are fighting a losing battle.
R/d bows have 'curves' but are also very fast. The duoflex is one of the all time fast bows. A reflexed recurve by definition too.....they also aren't slow....Using the 'curves' to your advantage. Each design has to be looked at in the whole.  Not just a simplification.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 03:38:56 pm »
  A set back handle might work well on a horn sinew bow but as bownarrow said it would cause too much bend right out of the handle for wood causing set. Every part of the limb is responding to its own relationship to the string angle.