Author Topic: Help with mould selection?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Help with mould selection?
« on: September 28, 2021, 02:45:21 pm »
Since I didn't get an elk with a bow, maybe a bear with a flintlock? ;D

Shooting a TC Hawken .50 cal 1:48 twist.

The rifle likes a lower charge with roundball but I feel charges in the range of 60 to 70 grains FFg are too anaemic for bear, especially since I only get one shot.

So maybe step up to a conical bullet?  But not sure what brand or type of mould to order.

I have a Lee REAL mould but its 320 grains in. 50 cal, might be a tad too heavy to stabilize with this 1:48 twist.

Anyway,  what do you guys think?  Anyone with experience on this particular rifle (or a rifle close enough) that can offer suggestions?

Edit to add: doesn't appear to be many moulds in stock anywhere so maybe this is a moot thread :(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:21:07 pm by Mesophilic »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Help with mould selection?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 04:48:06 pm »
I guess it depends on how you hunt, what kind of bears, distance and such. 70 gr and a round ball should be plenty for a bear over bait, not so if you are stalking at some distance. I have never hunted bear so I am just speculating.

You should be able to work up a load for your Reals. 1 in 48 works just fine for TC maxi ball and maxi hunters that were deigned for these guns, it should work for what you have.

You won't know until you try.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:31:48 pm »
Thanks, Eric.

Not allowed to bait here in NM but we can use electronic calls.

Majority of the bears I've come across were less than 100 out in the woods...generally 50 to 75 yards.

Except for the fact that powder is hard to come by, I suppose it won't hurt to cast some REALs and see what they do.  (Y'all heard Hodgedon shut down the Goex factory?)
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:12:36 am »
What Eric said!  75 gr 3Fg should do a bear at 100 yds, assuming you shoot straight.  I load 85 gr 3Fg behind a round ball in .50 cal, 90 gr 2Fg in my .58 percussion, and 120 gr 2Fg in my .58 flintlock.  Btw, a chap named Marianna Medina, retired mountain man trapper, and entrepreneur, loaded 140 gr 2Fg in his .58 cal Hawken with a round ball.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 10:56:14 am »
Thanks guys.

Does the fact that I only have a couple pounds of 2F change anything for a .50 flintlock?  Might be a while before I lay my hands on some 3F.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 02:10:49 pm »
Not as long as the rifle likes it! :-M  :).  If you are getting good groups, no problem.
Hawkdancer 
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry