Author Topic: Goex goes belly up  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Goex goes belly up
« on: September 28, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
Most of you know by now that Goex has announced the closing of their B/P plant, they are trying to sell it but who knows how this will go.

Needless to say, there is a run on black powder, at this point little or none can be found online except 1F or Null B.

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company’s Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Goex goes belly up
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »
Anyone got a good resource for DIY?

What size mesh is good for FFg and FFFg powders?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline gifford

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »
Thanks Eric - hadn't heard that.

Now to calculate how many target loads and hunting loads I can get from a pound of powder.

Let's see, 7000 grains per pound, 25 grains per load..cipher 1 carry Ought, well, quite a few I see.

50 grains per hunting load, a bunch there I see.

Okay dokey, at my age, I'm good, now you younger folks guess it's time to dig out the chemistry set.

Good Shooting.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 06:01:41 pm »
Run on powder and the plants are closing, I smell a rat.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 06:20:42 pm »
Making your own wouldn’t be a bad skill to have. Fairly primitive tech, so should be do-able in your garage. Probably be hard to achieve match consistency in your garage, but I bet a fella could get good enough to get the job done consistency. There are a lot of skills for self sufficiency  a fella ought to learn. Being dependent on others and companies to provide what you need ain’t looking like a good thing lately.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 07:53:31 pm »
I saw another post but the company that produced Swiss and Shutzen powder, they said they would ramp up production to fil the void although it may take a while.

On making your own powder, certainly doable, actually very easy.

A word of caution; when I was 13 my best friend and I made a lot of black powder and blew stuff up, one day when I was not around he loaded up a pistol we made and touched it off, the barrel blew up and killed him.

Proceed with caution!

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 12:35:05 am »
A word of caution; when I was 13 my best friend and I made a lot of black powder and blew stuff up, one day when I was not around he loaded up a pistol we made and touched it off, the barrel blew up and killed him.

Proceed with caution!

Sorry to hear that.

And it just took some wind out of my sails.   

Spent half the day reading and watching videos, checking out ball mills and screens...how does one know if the final product is within safety tolerances?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 01:59:43 am »
Meso,
1: very carefully measuring and temperature control, and 2: you don't, without testing, again carefully! >:D >:D (lol) :fp
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 10:07:05 am »
If any of you ae seriously low on powder, I know a place that has some Goex, and even more Shutzen and Swiss. I bought 10# of Goex and it came to a little over $30 a pound shipped to my door. This is almost twice the old price but the place doesn't give you free shipping or pay the hazmat on a half case or full case order. This place is a pyrotechnics company that has been overlooked by powder seekers.

Knowing that these types of shortages can last a year or more because of panic buying plus having a very low stock of personal powder, I decided to got off my wallet, stock up and be done with it while everyone else running in circles trying to find powder.

I won't post a link but if you PM me I will give you link to the company. Their prices are completive and low until you tack on shipping, hazmat, sales tax and a 3.5% credit card fee.

If you live close by you can make an appointment to buy powder at reasonable cost, their Goex is $18 a pound if you don't have to have it shipped.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 12:29:28 pm »
Yeah, been following this story’s evolution.  Not going to speculate just be patient.  I have enough to hold me for awhile…concerning, though.
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 02:07:53 pm »
The company is in Mineral Illinois if any of you live close enough to drive over and buy powder with out the hazmat fee and shipping.

Out the door;

GOEX is $18

OLDE EYNSFORD  is $20

SCHUETZEN is $16.50

SWISS is $27 for the new caviar ball and $25 for the standard.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 03:27:36 am »
Thanks for the info Eric  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.