Author Topic: Where did I see this?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Where did I see this?
« on: January 08, 2022, 07:48:24 am »
I’m thinking it was on LW but not sure.

It was found on the shores of Lake Huron. If I remember correctly on the Canadian side.  A stone with a perfect hole in it.

It was thought to be a sinker stone from natives fishing nets. It also had a reply with a article about sinker stones.

I didn’t have time to reply or read the article.

Many years ago my mom found one on the shores of Lake Huron on the American side.

Bjrogg

Ps the artifact next to it was found on my neighbors farm
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BrianS

Re: Where did I see this?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 08:16:35 am »
Bjrogg,
I found this many years ago in Western New York. I have no idea whether it is a natural hole or man made but I brought in home. Always have wondered if it was manmade and what it's purpose was?
take care,
brian

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 11:38:22 am »
I know one thing for sure.

They were intriguing enough to our eyes that both of them were picked up and save.

I’m sure in a different time it would have been the same. Weather a worn out bearing for a spindle and fire bow. Or made by Mother Nature herself it would and quite possibly did catch someone else’s eyes

It could have served multiple uses.

Bjrogg

PS wish I could find that thread I originally saw. It wasn’t long ago. I’d like to read the link if I could find it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 03:56:53 pm »
Not sure what they are but cool just the same, I love rocks and pick up special looking ones any time i see them in the woods or my creek. I am sure our ancestors done the same and made many uses of them.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 04:10:12 am »
Not sure what they are but cool just the same, I love rocks and pick up special looking ones any time i see them in the woods or my creek. I am sure our ancestors done the same and made many uses of them.  :)

+1   same here
googling around I found they are called "hag stones" or "adder stones".
They are natural holed stones more common at specific places and I'm sure too that our ancestors used them in many ways

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:12 am »
The hole in BJ's rook looks like it was drilled but Who knows for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 07:47:43 pm »
I have seen some where reeds have grown through the mud then dried. Eventually the reed rotted away and the mud petrified. The one you have looks man made but who knows. 
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 09:17:40 pm »
Me to Pappy. Along with bone, feathers and shinny things.lol sometimes I think I might be related to a pack rat.

Glis I agree. It could be natural. It might be man made. I really don’t know. I do suspect it was used for fishing. The beach here I’m sure was I popular spot. There is a area here we call the flats. A large shallow water area that’s good fishing. I’m certain it did then to.

I like to think it is Pat. I like to imagine it was used as a top bearing for spinel of a fire bow. Then it worn through and became a sinker for a net.

I’ve got a pretty good imagination. I can see it pretty good.

Piddler I was also thinking that’s how it would happen if it was natural. At any rate I’m glad my mom found it. I miss here and I love that it caught her eye to.

Bjrogg

Offline Piddler

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 08:15:33 pm »
bjrogg,
I knew I had one somewhere. It seems to be similar to yours in size maybe a bit smaller. Top piece seems broken off of this one. I cant tell if it is natural or man made though. I actually can't remember where I found it but sure it was east OK.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"