Author Topic: Hunting with the Hedge 2021  (Read 21507 times)

Offline JB G

Offline JB G

Re: Hunting with the Hedge 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:45:29 pm »
29 Sep 21

Warm this morning 60 degrees or better. Hunted creekside and go in early. Waited out day light. When slipping in I did not see the 30 plus turkeys roosted very nearby above me in the Sycamore trees on the back. They really started to make noise about 0700 when they were ready to hit the ground. They came down and took a good look at me as they say climb my tree. They feed around for a hour or so they headed for the white stands.
Quiet morning only had one doe come by at 45 yds heading to water. Pretty as the sunlight filtered to through the trees. Good day to be in woods with a HedgeHunter. Came back a bit early and got to peeling a new snakey Hedge bow.

Good Hunting
HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 08:45:21 pm »
Tell PA Steve. . . . . Well done on his NICE Selfbow deer. Good Going and keep em coming. Selfbow Glory right there.

Shot the Snaky bow in cooler weather and it it needed a full twist on string. Was hitting right a little bit in the cool dry air. Not sure why but that tightened right up. Figger it drops em right in at 30yds with a 190grn 2 blade up front that'll get in done at 15yds without an issue. Really like those two blade old Magnus blades in 125 or 100 with a woody weight under them. This little snakey bow is a snappy little bow only 1" wide at fades and 64" from GTG.

Was warm tonite, did not hunt. Got to get a tire on tractor and finish some bush hogging in this heat. Will break cool this Sunday. Should be fine hunting then.

Good Hunting Selfbowmen

HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:54:38 am »
30 Sept 21

No hunt today. Got chores and gonna be warm. Wait til Sunday evening when a cool front pushes through. Get some work done til then.

HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 10:07:18 am »
03 Oct 21

65 degrees overcast. Went out early with JBG we sat for about 4hrs and neither of us had any whitetails go by. Leaves coming down off walnuts, poplars and maples in buckets. Persimmons are hitting the ground with the that soft thud as well. White Oaks are raininng down this front should knock a pile of them off. Some cool weather coming it should bust wide open. Woods has quite a few rubs now, no scrapes on ground yet. Will get on it tonight if weather clears off after front go thru.
Slow Sunday, have a nearly 30yr old piece of Hedge to clean up and getting it looking like a HH bow. Should clean up to a very interesting piece. Work on it while I let this weather pass and then hit it. Finish loading last tray of 1000rds .45 ACP.

HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 10:29:19 pm »
03 Nov 21
1700hrs, clear SW winds 5-10mph

Went in at 1600hrs wind was all over place. Was in a huge Honey Locust up to where it yoked. At 1800hrs i heard antlers rattling when i looked up across creek anout 75ft above me on bluff with a horse pature lined with oaks to north. Deer were in shafows feeding 100yds away. They fed around when a bigger 5x5 squred off with a 4x4. They were just testing each other. The three other bucks just looking at them. They came down to creek but crossed further down stream from me and circled out in cut corn. Bachelor group of the five travelled across field to east.

Good evening to be out. Lots of action even with the warm temps. Its starting to get good. Will move a stand to this new creek crossing these deer are using.

HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 08:37:19 am »
Crreekside Spring Crick, TN
HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 09:52:30 am »
04 Oct 21

Finished bush hogging 25 acres yesterday. Thats done. Have a bunch of really nice poplar lines now running in an old pasture with clover in between. The upper portion is all torn to pieces. Bucks have go rub lines up and down those 8-10ft poplar rows. Has blackberries and honey suckle mixed in. Rabbits and some type of field rat were running all over while bushhogging.

Got this piece of 26yr old Osage a good friend gifted to me. was a little this where it split out in handle so had to build it up a bit. Has a natural cutout for a right hander in sight window. Never worked on wood this old. This is some springy wood! right now it's 68" 1.25" at fades. If it works out it outta make one hella HedgeHunter Target or Hunter bow.

HH~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:36:40 am »
Just to see if I could I turned this;

Into this, it is bamboo backed to hold things together but it is still shooting, gotta' love urac.

Offline JB G

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 10:05:26 am »
05 Oct 21

1600hrs, Raining SE winds 5-7mph

Went on creek on KY border yesterday. Climbed a big sycamore coming out of creek bank. From bank I was 20ft up, from creek maybe 26-28ft right over where I saw these bucks cross other day. Rained on me purty well but it stopped after an hour. Pretty limestone bottom creek. About 1730 I saw ripples up stream and saw four Otter's floating down stream and fishing it the cracks of the limestones on bottom. Pulled out bino's and they were getting crawfish (small) by the buckets. They come to crunch em up and go back to fishing. They were doing quite well and had nice dark coats on them as they passed right under me. 1830 they came back up stream doing them same thing. Figger they have a cut bank den just upstream from my location.

Saw one deer out of range at last lite, just a flash of a body go by. On they way out I went by two lone white oaks in the dark and there was a herd under them. These are right on a busy road and off they went. In the road was a dead coyote. Fawn eater got it by a fast mover in road. Really nice nite with a HedgeHunter in hand.

HH~

Gotta love that Eric. Love your glue up work and I have seen a bunch.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:16:51 am by JB G »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 12:58:24 pm »
How deep is that creek?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline JB G

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 01:23:23 pm »
07 Oct 21

65 degrees SW winds, overcast.

Al: Creek is about 2-3 ft deep there.

Saw one lone skunk this morning. No whitetails.

Heres the deer my friend shot last November. Bad hit. prolly only 5.5yr old. Has a limp hind right leg. He was a 140" deer last year. This is what a bad shot does to a buck that woulds been a a 150" deer this year. has a good body, can see skin hanging from brisket. I have seen him several times cutting over the summer. He was prolly 8: wider and had 50-60" more horn last year.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:32:53 pm by JB G »

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 02:31:49 pm »
Maybe next year he will get it back.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline JB G

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 01:46:31 pm »
09 Oct 21

65 degrees, sw wind, warm!! High of 86 today.

Got out this morning with the JB G. Thanks for posting old buddy! Only hunted for 3hrs we both had deer within 40yds. Poor movement right at first shooting light. Deer all fatten up with winter hair on and they are not moving much in daylight. Saw some driving in under farm light under two big white oaks. Good morning sit. Coming out saw the row croppers. Getting ready to sew wheat this coming week or tomorrow actually. Glad I caught em so they dont drill up my radish plots.

The 68" first Brace 4.5" prolly about 80lbs at 8". @6yr old stave.

HH~

Offline JB G

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 01:35:56 pm »
11 OCT 21

clear 68 degrees and windy out of south.

They planted wheat yesterday and were pulling drill and culti-packer, dozer out this morning. Needless to say we did not do any bidness this morning. Plenty Fox squirrels out in walnut trees.

Came back and took care some arrows for JB G and got this bow out to full brace. Very heavy still but lookin really good so far. Should be a hammer. Bringing it in to tiller slowly and keeping about .25" positive along the way.

Good Hunting

HH~