Author Topic: Is this spot worth hunting?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Fox

Is this spot worth hunting?
« on: September 30, 2021, 12:49:48 pm »
The best spot I've found with the most deer is 5 deer that I could take a shot at in a month, is that a spot even worth hunting though? This was figured out with a game camera.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:07:23 pm by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline archeryrob

Re: Is this spot worth hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 05:18:58 pm »
A trail camera pointed the wrong direction won't tell you much at all. Butt in the seat and you will see 10 times the deer that camera will.

I suggest finding trails and trail crossings are even better. Bedding areas are my favorite spots to hunt. The farm we hunt has two and we have three stands at each one and you hunt the ones with favorable wind direction to not blow into the bedding area or the trails they use in and out.

Where are they eating, where are they sleeping and hunt the trails between them. Doe bedding areas are going to have bucks running between several of them soon looking for one that is hot to chase.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 05:33:58 pm »
The best spot I've found with the most deer is 5 deer that I could take a shot at in a month, is that a spot even worth hunting though? This was figured out with a game camera.

What exactly does this mean? I've been hunting deer for 50 years and never had 5 shots in a month. If you seen 5 different deer on a single cam, there are a lot more there.

Don

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 09:05:05 pm »
I think he means that in a month, he saw 5 deer in his trail cam. I agree with rob. You never know what your going to find untill your out there
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:39:03 pm »
Yeah I mean my trail camera had 5 deer on it in a month, only including the ones in the day. I have only seen very few deer when I’m hunting out there….
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 12:00:59 am »
There was a small bush about two hours hike upward, in a place with good amount of whitetail, the Coues species, little gray things. Fire took the bush.
Anyway, I nicknamed that tree-bush the "grenade tree" because the pre rut activity just tore it up. Ground all pawed at, branches tore and scrapped bare.
Well, my partner placed a trail camera up there, and got one doe in over a few weeks in October (rut is in January and into Feb here). Yet the deer are sort of steady in that area, so I think the above about camera in wrong direction might be true for your place.
FWIW.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:10:52 am »
I learned to hunt long before trail cameras, so although I do put a few out, I still prefer to see deer and deer sign. If you saw 5 deer, that's 5 possibilities. I know guys who go after one deer. They scout that deer, and it's the only one they want.

I've hunted the same grounds for 50 years, and I would rather hunt that same ground with fewer deer than different terrain over populated. It's all about your reasons for being out there.
Don