Author Topic: Dolomite  (Read 9224 times)

Offline DanaM

Dolomite
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:44 pm »
We have what the locals call blue dolomite, definately harder than limestone, it has a pale blue color and you can see the
fine crstaline structure in a freshly broken piece. Googled Dolomite and some of the sites with specific info says it fractures conchoidial.
I went and grabbed a few pieces at lunch and will bang on them after work but I have a feeling I will need a baseball bat like hillbilly uses :D
Anyone know if this stuff is worth any messing with or if heat treating can improve it, at the least I may be able to get some axes and scrapers from it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Dolomite
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:07:06 pm »
Anything that practures conchoidail can be knapped.  Be a man and knapp it raw.  >:D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:11:42 pm »
I will trade you a box for some of that wussy rock you have Justin ;)

Just because the locals call it Dolomite doesn't mean it is, doing a bit more research I see they were talking about the mineral
Dolomite fracturing in a Conchoidal manner, didn't say anything about the rock :-\
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:53 pm »

Dana a picture says 1000 words, let us see it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:58:04 pm »
I just came home from work I have one piece in the truck I will get a pic up later.
I don't think its gonna knap.

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:17:26 pm »
Pictures, but this crap is hard don't think its gonna work maybe for an axe.

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:31:56 pm »
One word Dana! HEAT! LOTS OF HEAT!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:35 pm »
Looks like silicified limestone/dolomite. The better grades of it will knap, and you're right, wood is the best thing for it. It's really variable-one rock may knap good and the one lying next to it won't. The better stuff is good for large percussion pieces, but you're not going to get nice pressure-flaked arrowheads out of it unless you find some really highly silicified stuff like the Alibates stuff in Texas. I find some in Eastern TN that works pretty good. If you have limestone/dolomite, you probably have chert outcrops somewhere in the area.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:50:26 pm »
I'm looking fer the chert Hillbilly I'm looking, of course I'm not sure what it looks like but I'm looking 8)

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:41:21 pm »
Just do the smack test Danna! Smack it with a hammer stone or billet and check the results. Just remember from the Classic some of the tough stuff really needs some heat! Burn baby BURN! (Can you tell I'm in my shop again!?!?)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

jamie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
looks like great stuff for axe heads. very similar to some of the noviculite axes ive made

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:16:53 pm »
Ok I beat on that chunk of rock and all I got in return is sore wrists, but man it was fun ;D

when I got tired of beating on it I tried spin up a coal got smoke but no fire :( Beer was cold and brats were good so all was not lost eh. ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
  Looks like the same crap we throw under bridges for erosion. Have fun >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »
dana post a pic of the fire board . close ups would be great

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:55 pm »
Danna walk around and pee on random rocks, seems to work for me. ;)
Mililani Hawaii