Author Topic: My Version of the side quiver  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
My Version of the side quiver
« on: October 04, 2021, 05:23:09 pm »

From https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/leather-side-quiver/

I’ve been hunting with this old quiver in the next photo this bow season, trying to decide what style quiver I’ll hunt with when I’m dragging a self bow through the woods and fields chasing whitetail. This is one I made as a prototype out of an old quiver that I had laying around. It worked fairly well but it’s quit ugly and had a few shortcomings I wanted to fix. I planned to wait until after deer season, but it was raining to hard to bow hunt today, and I wasn’t about to waste a vacation day, so I decided to make myself a new one.

I wanted something That would hold six broadheads. The old one would hold six, but it was a little tight, so the new one is just a little bigger. I didn’t want it bulky either, so I tried for as small as the six arrows fit comfortably. A few field or blunts will fit easily as well.

Ever since I started making self bows, I’ve had problems deciding on a hunting quiver. In the past, I’ve always hunted with a quiver on my bow, but making the self bows had me liking the bow without one.

Also I almost always hunt with a day pack, so a back quiver never seemed to work.

With the back pack, a strap wasn’t the answer either, so I also wanted a belt clip. This meant having the split (or opening for arrow retrieval) on the top of the quiver like some designs would not have worked. I knew if I tried with a clip on a strap over a top opened quiver it would hang lower than I wanted. So I decided on this design.

I find this quiver great for walking through the brush. You can guide it with little effort. I’ve been in and out of standing corn, through brush and weeds, and over blow downs and it seems to work like a charm.

It’s also easy on and easy off.

Died with Fiebing’s Leather Dye

I like to still hunt and I always hunt from the ground. With my DIY Tree Seat (https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/diy-tree-seat-improved-version/) hanging off my day pack and this style quiver everything works together. I can walk and sit wherever I want, and easily retrieve an arrow while crouched behind a tree or bush.

It also works well for target or 3D shooting.
Don

Offline TimBo

Re: My Version of the side quiver
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 09:24:31 pm »
Looks like it would do the job!  I may have to try something like that.  I usually use a Plains style quiver, but getting arrows out would probably be easier with the cutout.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 04:47:14 am »
That looks like a fine and functional quiver.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 08:53:07 am »
That looks like a fine quiver you've made there for the way you like to hunt.Although crawling on your hands and knees sneaking for a better shot it could get in the way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:17:12 am »
That looks like a fine quiver you've made there for the way you like to hunt.Although crawling on your hands and knees sneaking for a better shot it could get in the way.

That's where the "easy removal" comes into play. I find myself carrying it in my right hand in those types of situations. I know the season is young, but so far, it still seems like the best compromise. Now if this rain would let up, I'd get to try it some more!!
Don