Author Topic: Primitive coating for sinew backed bows?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline High-Desert

Primitive coating for sinew backed bows?
« on: October 05, 2021, 10:14:34 am »
I’ve been working on a northwest native style sinew backed bow, and keeping everything as primitive as I can. I have been looking for a primitive coating for sinew backed bows, and was curious what you guys have used over sinew. Does bear grease work over sinew, or bees wax.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Primitive coating for sinew backed bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:36:22 am »
I don't know how well bear grease alone would work over sinew backing. I use pitch varnish over sinew wraps. Not exactly primitive because of the alcohol but it's as close as I can figure. My pitch varnish is just hard, brittle pitch dissolved in denatured alcohol and strained. For true varnish I think some sort of oil is added to that mixture to make it somewhat flexible but I don't have a ratio.
 You might melt bees wax, pitch and bear fat into a paste and rub that on but I've only used that for leather.
 I know bear fat is very water repellent. A friend was rendering some bear fat on his back deck when he nocked it over. Even years later any rain or water that fell on that spot beaded up and ran off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 12:59:28 pm »
I know halfeye would make a mixture of grease,pitch, a little charcoal. He would make the mixture to where it would bearly harden under normal outside conditions. He would coat his sinew backed bows and sinew strings with the same coating. Just my 2 cents.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:08:36 pm »
If it grows in your region - soaproot. Steam the root bulb until it is soft. Mush into a past and apply. Used as glue and backing bows for central CA natives.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:22:16 pm »
People in the west often used the juice from crushed prickly pear cactus as a waterproofing on parfleches. Run a mess of leaves through a food processor and press the juice out, paint it on full strength and let dry.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:36:54 pm »
Awesome! Thanks everyone, I will do some experimenting with all those, assuming I can come across all the material. Appreciate the help.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 11:26:46 pm »
I think that James Parker used prickly pear juice as a carrier for some paint pigments and maybe as a sealer on his Asiatic horn bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 03:44:49 am »
Birch bark :)

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 10:40:39 am »
I just use a snakeskin to waterproof my sinew bows.. still primitive... if you don't like skins and want to show off the muscle.. animal grease and pine pitch make a great sealant.. gut

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 10:55:56 am »
Good info, guys.  I was always kind of worried that bear grease (or similar) would weaken the hide glue somehow.  Not the case?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 12:35:06 pm »
That is my concern too, WB.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 10:10:37 am »
I read that  about the possibility that the fats could cause an issue with sinew bow, but I have never seen anyone say for sure.
I do like using snake skins but I have a paint job on the back. I think I’ll do an experiment with pine pitch on a scrap piece of wood.
Eric

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:57:14 am »
I use pine/fir pitch on my arrows.  I just add powdered, dry pitch to the alcohol dye when I mix it up, then dip the shafts.  I'm not sure how effective it is at waterproofing, and I suspect it wears off pretty fast, but it doesn't hurt anything.  Sure makes them smell nice!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 11:04:38 am »
I got to thinking and animal grease may NOT be suitable on sinew.. well sinew is fine, but if hide glue was used, probably can loosen hide glue up.. i just skin my sinew jobs but I do have a naked sinew bow.. but it doesnt go outside but on nice days for target shooting.. .. gut..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 11:07:38 am »
If you use pitch put in a little bees wax so it won't be as brittle. It may crack otherwise when it bends.