Author Topic: I found a crack and need help  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Walski

I found a crack and need help
« on: October 06, 2021, 11:26:03 am »
This is my favorite bow that I use for elk hunting, it 66" ntn, 56# at 28, 1 1/2 at the fade down to 1/2 nock and made from Osage.    I have about 400 hundred arrows through it, when I noticed a crack in the upper mid limb.   Can this bow be saved?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I found a crack and need help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:33:48 pm »
Fortunately it is running with the grain and doesn't look like it runs off the limb. I would saturate it with thin super glue from back and belly making sure it goes deep on each side then put a wrap on that area. Sinew, silk thread or other thin, strong thread saturated with glue. you can add a wrap on the other limb for symmetry...or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 02:18:59 pm »
I'd do the same and wrap with sinew. Mix some earth pigment into the glue and make the wrap decorative :) You will have to remove the finish in that area but worth it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 08:42:33 pm »

I'm surprised you only just noticed it. Its a drying crack, not something from stress or weakness. It was probably always in the stave, or developed as you were making it, because it wasn't dry enough. Its the flexing in the finish that shows it up. It poses no threat to the bow.

Yes you could flood it with superglue, but there's no need to wrap it as it isn't close to the edge, let alone running off the side.

Offline Walski

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:45:41 am »
Thank you guys for your response, I was upset when I saw this crack and stopped shooting it.    I'll fill it with super glue and keep an eye on this crack, I like the ideal of a warp for added insurance.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 01:21:19 pm »
Clamp the bow in a vice, bend it by hand and watch if the crack will open. If it does fill in runny super glue while bent, hold a few seconds til glue is vaporated in the crack.
If doesn't anything, I would leave it.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 07:09:28 pm »

Take a look at Simons latest masterpiece. It is shot full of such cracks, all within the stave, safe as houses to shoot, no wraps.

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:02:08 pm »
agree to that. if it opens while bending glue it.if it doesnt leave it