Author Topic: Knot Advice  (Read 872 times)

Offline GaryL

Knot Advice
« on: October 06, 2021, 03:29:42 pm »
Hello All.  I have completed a floor tiller on an Osage bow I am working on and have some questions about knots. 

First of all I plan to back this with rawhide, I chased a ring nicely but the stave I have had pretty small rings.

I chose the biggest ring I could without compromising the bow width as much as possible. The ring I ended up with was a little less than 1/8" 

Anyhow I have a knot in the lower fade that is hollow all the way to the back but doesn't quite break through and I have about three of these longer ones that go through on the lower part of the limb. 
I covered the longer ones on the back with Super Glue but is there anything else I should do or will I be okay as long as I back it? Also the hole in the lower fade, can I just leave it alone or do I need to fill it??  Please see pics and I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Knot Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:22:06 pm »
I wouldn't worry about either. You can either hollow out the one through knot but be careful not to violate the back ring as it goes around the knot. Or, you can fill the hollow knot with layers of fine saw dust and super glue. You should do this a little at a time so it is solid throughout.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 09:43:48 am »
Looks like you did all leaving the knotted area wide. I like tiller knots so that they don't bend quite as much as the rest of the limb. It is an art as you don't want that area too appear too flat. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:11:43 am »
I got an osage that has a hole in limb left from a knot.. MID LIMB... bow is fine left it wide around knot hole.. yours is in fade.. I wouldn't worry too much about it.. just keep an eye on it but should be fine .. gut

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 10:26:58 am »
Good advice above. I have made some repairs with super glue ,and saw dust that I thought would not work, but did excellent. It has a chemical reaction that smokes, and makes a strong fix.