Author Topic: OK Mushroom Guys  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

OK Mushroom Guys
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:59:45 pm »
These popped up in the back yard today, I am pretty sure the smaller ones are ringless honey mushrooms but not enough to eat one.

The larger clump is very distinctive with a brown stem, defined gills and almost flower looking false petals on top. I can't find it in any of my mushroom references or on line.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: OK Mushroom Guys
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 11:14:41 am »
Eric, I've been picking mushrooms since moving to SC and have about ten pounds in the freezer. Those do look like Honey Mushrooms in the reference books I have but not enough pictures to really identify them with enough confidence to eat one. Tractor Supply has a really good book of edible mushrooms I just bought yesterday and I highly recommend it. It's name is Mushroom Hunter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »
Here is the spore print from the suspected honey mushrooms, white like it is supposed to be.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 12:33:54 pm »
They look like what just popped up in my backyard in large clusters.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 08:33:25 pm »
Yeah I'm no expert either, but I'd say honey mushrooms too. There's a facebook group for the Alabama Mushroom Society, you might want to join and ask them.
Trevor

Offline SDBurntStick

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:46:14 pm »
I get these coming up all over my woods in MO late August through October as well if conditions are right.  I always thought they were honey mushrooms too but am a little apprehensive to try some of the capped mushrooms without a microscope and looking at spores.  What are they growing on?  I think honey mushrooms are parasitic/sapropyte.  Helps to identify substrate.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 04:48:16 am »
Wish I knew how to post Pics, Dang it! Last week I had a "Fairy Ring" of Meadow Mushrooms. The Ring was about 20' - 30', took 3 Days to get them Positively Identified. A Bud took some Home and ate them for a Couple of Days . Seems the more I try to learn about Schrooms, the less I know  (lol) ! The only Mushroom I rely on is the Spring Morels - can't go wrong there ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 02:38:40 pm »
I sent Steve Parker pictures of mine in the backyard, he told me to leave them alone. He said brown mushrooms are too hard to identify and there are several that look alike that will really mess you up. Right now we are picking Puff Ball mushrooms and they are really good and easy to identify.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:08:34 am »
My mushroom hunting neighbor confirmed that my mushrooms were honey mushrooms and told me he had been eating them this year when they first popped up. He also said they had to be cooked very well and not to eat but a small amount the first time to see how your body tolerated them, they cause digestive distress in some people.

After letting both groups age it is apparent that the larger mushrooms in the second picture are much older honey mushrooms that are past their prime. The pretty mushrooms in the first picture aged to look the same as the ones in the second picture.