Author Topic: Belly lifting a splinter?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Morgan

Belly lifting a splinter?
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:41:31 pm »
On the belly of one of my bows about 2” out of the fades the grain has raised. This is where the grain “feathers” and comes to a point. One whole triangular grain section is raised. I can’t get a nail under it but can hang my nail on it almost everywhere the grain line is. Haven’t shot the bow since spring and it was smooth as silk when put up. I have never experienced this. I strung the bow to see if it would raise it more and it didn’t. I shot the bow 3 or 4 dozen times and no noticeable difference. Wondering if the rings are separating there and why it would appear after being stored in a cool dry environment? I took pics but you can’t see what’s going on in the pics. Wood is American elm. Anyone else had this happen?

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Belly lifting a splinter?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 09:51:38 pm »
The bow has lost moisture I’m guessing . Get the thinnest ca glue you get and fill it up if clamps can be applied use them should be fine. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:03:59 pm »
The bow has lost moisture I’m guessing . Get the thinnest ca glue you get and fill it up if clamps can be applied use them should be fine. Arvin

Thanks Arvin. I was thinking it may be moisture as well, one thing that makes me question that is the bow belly had a long heat treat before final tiller and finishing. Can it regain and lose enough moisture to do that? I’m not sure if there is a gap for the CA glue to fill but I’m going to give it a try. Any suggestions on removing a paste wax finish? Come to think of it this is the only bow I’ve made that has only wax to seal it, maybe that contributed to the problem?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 10:09:57 pm »
I doubt it had to do with the problem but don’t worry about the wax the glue needs to be where there is no wax. At the brake or delaminates is where to be generous. The finish will just have to be touched up. Pics would help. Arvin

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 10:32:10 pm »
Ok, definitely delaminated. I was able to slide a thin sheet of paper under the ring. Hopefully glue will fix it. If not, I have more and know a guy that can make another lol. Same ring on other fade is solid. First for me, don’t think it is shake, but might be.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:33:00 pm »
Looks like it might have compression failure. Did it take set in that  area ? If not glues  the fix. Arvin

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 12:03:46 am »
Looks like it might have compression failure. Did it take set in that  area ? If not glues  the fix. Arvin

Arvin, No, it didn’t take set there. I looked it over close looking for fretting and can find no damage at all other than the ring separation. Going to give the glue a try, if it continues to separate or separates on another ring I’ll chalk it up to a fail. Thank you for your advice.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 06:18:52 am »
 Did you do any dry heat bending /straightening? If you aren't careful the fade area is a common spot that can get too much bending, when not hot enough, and the wood can separate a bit.

Flood it with acetone a few times, to clean it, let it dry for 10mins. Then superglue the crack.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 08:02:57 am »
That's most likely from your heat treat.  Did you reflex it on a caul?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 10:02:42 am »
Thanks guys. I imagine it was the heat treat. I didn’t reflex the bow, but did take some side bend out with the heat.