Author Topic: Does this mean something?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Does this mean something?
« on: October 08, 2021, 11:00:01 am »
When I made my new bow last summer (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70364.msg988237.html#msg988237), I laced the leather handle in place but didn't glue it on.  The laces were centered on the back.  Over time and several hundred shots, the laces have migrated off to the left about half an inch.  (I shoot left handed)  Does that mean something is wrong?

My guess is that I'm gripping too tightly and causing torque, but that's just a guess.  Another possible clue:  I slap my arm like crazy, and have to use a heavy-duty arm guard.  I've recently been concentrating on a looser bow grip, and it's helping with that.  Any ideas?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Does this mean something?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 12:14:47 pm »
Contact cement on the leather or hide glue if your a purest.  Bend your arm or build you a bow with offset in the handle . Meaning build your handle so it kicks the bottom of the Handle to the right for a left handed archer .
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 12:16:40 pm »
A pic of you holding a strung bow would help.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:02:30 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 12:46:44 pm »
Try making the brace height deeper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 12:50:27 pm »
When you grip the handle your fingers put pressure towards the way your fingers point. When I do a cordage wrapped handle I have to pay attention to the direction I wrap or the wrap will loosen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 01:32:15 pm »
When you grip the handle your fingers put pressure towards the way your fingers point. When I do a cordage wrapped handle I have to pay attention to the direction I wrap or the wrap will loosen.
So maybe it's nothing wrong, I just need to glue my handle wrap?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 03:28:14 pm »
Here’s the stuff I use on my handles for leather or other wraps on my bows.  I also use this on my leather knife sheaths and it works great.  It’s little pricy but I’ve had good luck with it.  It’s called klebfest. It’s a contact cement type glue for shoes. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 05:28:11 pm »
Dave,
Where do you get the stuff?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 05:32:23 pm »
You could be torquing it a bit.  I second the idea of raising the brace height a bit - just give your string a few twists (make sure it is tightening, not loosening!) and see if that helps the arm slap. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 05:43:12 pm »
Dave,
Where do you get the stuff?
Hawkdancer

I know Amazon sells it but I got mine at a local leather shoe repair shop. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 06:20:40 pm »
You can get Barge cement at the local Hobby Lobby, it is made for leather.

I glue my leather handles on and don't stitch them. I have a tutorial on this site somewhere about how to get a perfect fit. It would be easy to glue on the leather and stich it on after the fact.

I checked and my tutorial on leather handles was on the Trad Gang, they tossed me off the site for telling them the truth about a member who they thought was advertising his archery tournament for free on the Trad Gang and charging many of the Trad Gang sponsors to set up at his tournaments. I knew Terry never charged the companies a dime to set up at his tournaments. The tossed me, deleted at least a have a dozen of my very involved tutorials, found out I was right and let me back in but my tutorials were apparently in outer space never to return.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 06:44:07 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 06:40:32 pm »
Yeah, I've used barge before and it works great.  This handle fit so well I decided not to glue it.  Duh.   ;D

I do brace my bows fairly low, but I think the arm slap is some bad form.  I did a few shots in the garage this morning, strictly working on form and loose bow grip.  No arm slap.  So that's nice.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 08:34:30 pm »
 Eric, That's about as good as an example of a glue on, no stitch leather grip that I have seen. Do you skive the overlapping edges?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 11:58:49 pm »
No, I just cut and glue the ends together. When I glue the leather on I leave the ends long, overlap them at the seam, put a popsicle stick right where I want the seam to be and use the edge of it as a guide to cut through both pieces of leather.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2021, 03:36:00 am »
Simple just loosen your grip. In fact you shouldn't be 'gripping' at all :)
Some pva works great for leather handles. It gives you a few minutes wiggle room to adjust the posistion as you go. Completely waterproof too. Also if using veg tan leather soak it first and stretch around your grip. This stops the soaky wet grip issue in the rain. Keep it waxed.