Author Topic: Drying a damp bow  (Read 1003 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Drying a damp bow
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:18:05 pm »
OK, I have an unfinished bow stored in a damp garage.  Last time I braced it, it took an inch of deflex.  I don't think of this as set (compression damage), but is it?  I've brought it in it dry it out, should I reverse brace it? If so, how much?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drying a damp bow
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 05:28:28 pm »
First off, leaving bows in a damp area can cause mildew or other fungi to get into it. If you haven't harmed the belly cells you could clamp it to a caul to dry. Whether that will help you will have to determine yourself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »
Hi Pat, you're not wrong. The ones I like I keep in the house, the ones I'm building I usually bring indoors too, this one I left to rehydrate after a run of heat treatments and the weather turned.  Think I overdid the hydration, now its back in the house and strapped down
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:36:05 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 07:23:48 pm »
Be sure the back is well sealed of it may check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:34:25 pm »
I created a moisture control closet, https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/my-moisture-control-for-wood-self-bows/

Making good working bows has become a whole lot easier
Don