Author Topic: Bear grease  (Read 2018 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Bear grease
« on: October 12, 2021, 07:20:06 pm »
How do y’all go about rendering bear fat to grease.  My first batch a couple of years ago turned out great.  Yellow/amber see through.   Since then, I’ve tried twice and the results have been bear grease that looks like gravy.  Maybe.need to find some tighter cheezecloth to strain through.  All the fat I get has some redness on edges and some meat throughout.  I figured that wouldn’t be a problem, but maybe that’s darkening up the final product.   

Regardless, if you could post your methods from going from fat to beautiful, clean grease, it will be much appreciated.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Bear grease
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 12:02:35 am »
The secret seems to be adding water to the rendering process, or a second rendering with about 50/50 water after the first has cooled, of course.   

Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 03:45:24 am »
I'm interested in the second rendering with water added option.  What exactly do you do and why?  I gotta hit the youtube and see if I can find any vids that show this. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:10:40 am »
I just keep cooking it down until all I have is oil and cracklins just like you render fat for a hog or deer, then just pour off the grease through cheese cloth and I use a fine sifter and let it cool, The meat and cracklins are all that is left in the pan. Never tried adding water and I do it all in one cooking.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 12:16:46 pm »
Don't add water to the hot grease.  (A)  If you decide to use water start it all off cold them bring it to a boil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC