Author Topic: 1 doe down  (Read 6796 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
1 doe down
« on: October 14, 2021, 11:42:12 pm »
It's cooled off nicely here lately.A doe gave me a shot this evening.Used an osage self bow I call the red rat bow 65" long @ 50#@ 28" draw and a 600+ grain self nocked dogwood arrow.145 grain Ace broadhead.The bow still holds a scooch over 4" reflex from a summer of target shooting and a hunting season.I had told Robin at the beginning of the season that I pitied any deer getting within 20 yards of me.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,69968.0.html Pass through quartering away shot rib to rib.You can see the bubbles coming out of the exit hole yet.
If you click on the picture it'll enlarge it.At least on my computer it does.No blood trail to follow on this one.She weighed about 150 pounds.
After hanging and gutting her in the shed the damage showed I took out the lungs and sliced the heart.I can see why it put a hiccup in her getty-up.
She ran abut 30 yards.Stopped for 5 seconds and kicked out funny with her front leg and fell over.Stood back up for another 10 seconds and fell over for good.I'd say she was completely dead in less than 10 minutes or even 5 minutes as it went fast.

A picture from the deers' point of view from where she was shot.A big honey locust.There were a lot more leaves on earlier.

A little description of the hunt.....Shot her from an 18' stand and she was around 10 yards from the base of the tree.I had been sitting for a couple of hours watching everything from squirrels to chipmunks to a couple of gobblers browsing about 50 yards away in the edge of the corn field.Part of a group I imagine of 8 bachelors I've been listening to come down and roost the last few days. I have a turkey tag to fill too.
Wind which was very little was just right for my shooting lane.I know cause I tested it with my milkweed fluff wind detectors.I had been sitting a couple hours when this doe and her fawn came by at a walking pace from behind on my right side.Paused looking at the gobblers out in front of me but but not quite right for a shot yet.I had to wait till she walked a few more paces before releasing the shot.She did'nt realize what hit her as the bow shot quiet as a mouse.The arrow disappeared through her right where I was looking.
She bolted straight at the 2 gobblers in the edge of the cornfield.They just raised their heads and stood their ground and watched her stop 10 yards from them and fall over.She got back up immediately but very unsteady.Kicked out her front leg and fell over for good.The yearling cruised around a while wondering just what happened here and walked off into the woods later but not before a bobtailed coon cruised by checking the situation out.Pretty sure it was the same coon that got by me killing some of our chickens as there are'nt too many bobtailed coon.[sometimes during mating season when boars are fighting this can happen].We lock the doors up on our chickens now at dusk.No more dead chickens.I would of stuck him too if he would of given me a chance.
With plenty of daylight left and a dead deer within my sight I waited for another deer.2 more does showed up checking out the dead doe.They did'nt want anything to do with it close up but were still curious hanging around a while just out of range.One with 2 fawns had a button buck fawn that was as big as most does already.None of these deer came close enough for a shot from me.
I came back way after dark and supper to drag the doe up to the tractor shed with as little disturbance as possible.
Hunting just 30 acres of woods it's important to maintain very little disturbance from hunting.The deer catch on quickly that it's too dangerous to hang around here!!!This was about as least of a disturbance of a hunt I've had in a long time.Which bodes well for filling my other tags.I've gotten three bow tags this year.
Post script...Goal of 200 pounds or better of deer meat for this year.As the price of beef has sky rocketed even in the midwest here.This deer produced 60 pounds.That's including 5 pounds of beef fat added to all my deer for hamburger.

These goals of meat from the woods and produce from the garden is not about being afraid of the way things are trending.They are about being smart though.The health benefits are a + also.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 03:15:31 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 1 doe down
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:30:11 am »
Nice shot Ed. At first glance I thought string silencer was entry hole. It’s supposed to cool down here now to. I’ve been out three times so far and haven’t had anything close. Maybe next time.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 08:03:26 am »
Nice doe Ed , and looks like a well place shot.Congrats, nice hide and some very good eating. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:34:36 am »
The early birds are up!!
BJ.....Yes I'm a bit west of you.Just right weather coming your way.At least you've got an excuse with harvest and all.I had a larger doe close in the other day but could'nt get a decent shot.
No bucks yet but scrapes are showing up.
Pappy....About the earliest I've shot one this year, but it's a weather related sport.It's good to get the monkey off your back.I've got a few more tags to fill though.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:42:51 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:34:57 pm »
As a side note.....I usually like to reuse my broadhead shafts if possible.The only part of the shaft I found was inside the guts.The nock end about 10" long.Looking at the place where the deer layed down as I watched her it was'nt there either.Figuring she broke it then and should be laying there.I have found the 20" broadhead end now though.
Apparently when the deer was shot at a downward degree angle like that the pass through [20"] stuck into the ground with the back ten inches of the shaft still inside her exiting through her ribs.When she turned/whirled and took off it broke immediately and flew off to the side well before she layed down.Dogwood is tough but not tough enough this time.
I"ve seen dogwood withstand from breaking a bunch of times.Like sticking straight out from the sides of the deer and the deer running through the standing corn rows with the shaft clicking against the stalks the whole way.I imagine if she was hit at ground level it would of flew on through into the woods to be found and used again.
Things happen fast after the shot is released.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 08:22:46 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 02:58:41 pm »
 Nice work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 03:45:12 pm »
The dogwood still won the battle. Battle scars are expected.  (SH)
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 07:12:35 pm »
Thanks stix.One of the fastest put downs I've seen in a while.
I have an endless supply of dogwoods Don.I'll take the trade any day.Got my broadhead back.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:16:06 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 07:04:09 pm »
Can you normally reuse the fletching or is that done for even on a pass through? Nice deer too
In the woods I find my peace

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 08:05:38 am »
The fletching I just wash off/reprep a little and let it dry.It usually springs back into shape good to use again in a couple of hours.Each dogwood I make to finish takes approximately at least an hour for each one.Reason why I like to reuse them.The fletching part if needed does'nt take that long.Using good stiff primaries from the beginning I think helps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:31:06 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 05:00:50 pm »
That's good information, thanks Ed.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 06:34:14 pm »
Congrats Ed. Beautiful doe.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 01:36:52 am »
Well done and good info!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 10:53:49 am »
Thanks fellas...The hunt or story continues though as there are tags to fill yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:54:22 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed