Author Topic: Bow repair and rebuild. NEED HELP  (Read 1327 times)

Offline leaf shaker

Bow repair and rebuild. NEED HELP
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:03 am »
Got this long bow from my Grandfather when he passed away and wanted to get it functional again. The backside of the handle had started to separate from the bow so I removed the leather grip and and was looking for a way to glue it back when the finger joints separated. I'm really not sure what to do and don't want to mess it up. If anyone knows how I should proceed with repairing this bow it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
leaf shaker

Offline bassman211

Re: Bow repair and rebuild. NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 12:07:33 pm »
Just my opinion, and what works for me. I am sure others will vary.  Rough areas to be glued with a hack saw blade, and wipe down with acetone. Glue it up with Smooth On AD-40. Get it all in line. and clamp. A heat lamp, or hot box will make for quicker curing , and if you don't have either it will cure at room temp. Give it 24 to 48 hrs. Remove clamps, and clean up, and add handle wrap.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 02:45:20 pm »
Is this really the back side of the bow what you call back side? I assume it is the belly side.
Have the limbs a backing, they are made with standing rings?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 02:56:06 am »
I'd use EA40 too but do not roughen the surfaces! EA40 wil give the best bond strength with perfectly mating surfaces and sanded to 120 grit. I personally would use 80 grit.
The problem you will have is that the pores of the wood are already full of glue, not that big a deal if you know what the glue is....but EA40 should work anyhow. Use a dead flat sanding block (not cork something hard) and evenly sand all mating surfaces. Wipe/blow off the dust.
Clamp /glue up the finger joint first.
Then add the riser piece once you have the finger joint glued and cured.
You are going to want to get yourself some bicycle innertubes for the 'clamps'. You simply wrap round and pull.
To hold the pieces in place before applying the tubes use parcel tape and saranwrap.  The problem with te finger joint is when you apply clamping pressure it will want to slide apart. To stop this fit it together (with glue!) then take a piece of tape and stick it to the belly of one limb....wrap its end to secure it....then take the end of the lengthwise piece of tape and pull it tight....lay down on the other limb under tension. Add a few of these - so the limbs are being pulled together by them. Secure the ends and then wrap the whole seebang with saranwrap. Not wrap with an innertube. It doesn't have to be super tight.
Once this has cured then sand and clean the bellyside of the bow and riser. Repeat, using the tape to hold it in place, saran wrap to stop glue sticking to everything and tubes for the clamping force.
Good luck.
Follow the above steps and it should work.
Just post again once you have it cleaned up and can advise on how to safely get it back to full draw.
It likely came apart due to moisture content dropping after being stored somewhere a bit too dry. Working m.c. and house stored m.c. are likely to be different.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:33 am »
Different people have different ways. The end results is what counts. The Hack saw method has never let me down for handle ,or limb glue ups, but guys say the same thing about tb 2, and 3. Now at least you have a couple options of how you may want to make the fix.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 10:43:13 am »
May be you mean the belly side?
The back is the frontside of the bow and the belly is the backside in the bowyer's language...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:48:10 pm »
The belly faces the shooter while the back is away from the shooter.

It's alway good to read the directions on the glue lable to see if the pieces should be roughened or smoothed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:56 am »
Yes, the part facing me when I shoot the bow is what Im talking about when I say the back. Ill try the saw method and see. wish me luck