Author Topic: Monkey off my back  (Read 9381 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Monkey off my back
« on: October 18, 2021, 04:55:06 pm »
I am at the cabin for a few day , took a nice 130 lb 6 point this morning, pictures and story later, not good on this phone 🤨 Osage self bow built in 2012 , the one I killed the gators  with ,po cedar shaft and 160 Ace, 6 yard shot. This makes 40 years I have taken At least 1 buck with my bow 1980 was the last year I blanked , I am for sure not a trophy hunter, I have one gold each year and I made it. So now just to kick back and enjoy the rest of the season come what may.be home Wednesday or Thursday not sure , heck I thought today was Friday 🤔 great to be retired I guess and have a understanding wife 👌 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Monkey off my back
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:30 pm »
Congrats, Pappy.  I envy you your long season...but not your long, hot summers.  All a trade-off I guess.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 09:34:53 pm »
Congrats Pappy, thats one helluva accomplishment. Any animal taken with a selfbow is a trophy.... so I guess we are all kinda trophy hunters. Congrats again sir
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:43 pm »
Just got in here.Congrats Pappy.That did'nt take you too long.More meat is always good.The bucks are sure moving here now.Seen the dominant buck I think in the failing light on this land tonight.35 to 40 yards away.Not a monster racked buck but a pretty big old bruiser.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:11:23 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:12:01 pm »
Congrats, Pappy. Looking forward to the pics.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otis

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 09:06:31 am »
Congratulations Pappy.  Well done.  Looking forward to getting down there and seeing everyone.

David

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
Congratulations, Pappy!
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 06:09:11 pm »
Thanks , be home tomorrow and will post some pictures, as it turns out I will have more pictures, took another 7 point this morning, got to love it when a plan comes together, all that know me knows I am not a trophy hunter, so I am tagged out on bucks for the year, not a problem for me 😉 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 06:32:45 pm »
Congratulations Pappy. That's quite the streak you have going. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 01:40:02 am »
Congrats!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 07:15:10 pm »
Back from the cabin, had a great time , got in some hunting of course. Went down early Monday morning and seen nothing until about 9:30 then this nice 6 point came in a about 6 yards , hit him high, their is good and bad when you do that, the bad is having to get down and finish your job, the good is no Tracking, I would rather track but it happens sometimes, he was 131 lb, field dressed , probable 2 years old, very happy with him!!! skinned and took care of the hide and meat so didn't hunt the evening.You can kill 2 bucks in Tennessee season but only 1 a day , I will show why that matters in 4th picture, this guy cam in after the 6 was down and wouldn't leave, 5 or 6 yards several times , I waited until he finely decided to leave, about 30 minutes to get down and finish my job, hated that. :( The next morning I went up above the cabin to a stand we call the honey hole [everyone has one of these] been more deer killed from this stand than any on my place, lots of first time bow kills have taken their deer from this stand, just a good flat in oak wood where 3 ridges come together and deer are always moving through there.This was my first set in it this year. I hadn't seen anything  not even a squirrel until about 8:45 then a nice little 7 point cam in, he got by me the first time and I hit my grunt and he came right in under my stand, less than 3 yards, i put a good shot on him, he ran 150 yards or so but sister made the track easy, he was 101 lbs field dressed with only 1 brown tine, I needed a 7 for our TwinOaks grand slam so i was very pleased, you have to take a doe/spike/3/4/5/6/7 and 8 plus to win, I like a 4 and 5 but that will have to wait till next year because I am all bucked out for this year, you can kill 3 doe a day in Tennessee so still plenty to hunt. That's my story and I am sticking to it. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 07:18:54 pm »
the 6 point and Sister, great dog. All the meat in taken care of and hides in the cooler waiting to be fleshed and tanned, I like to let the hides cool down before rolling them up, if you don't the don't cool good rolled up and will spoil, these are in good shape.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 07:21:43 pm »
This buck just wouldn't go away, good thing for him I already had one down. Maybe Beau will get a chance at him. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 05:33:40 am »
Good pictures of some nice deer Pappy.Congrats.Shots close up like that can seem a slam dunk but sometimes can go south.
I started out with 4 tags myself.3 for bow season with 2 does and 1 buck.Whatever order they come by for a shot.1 more tag for a doe for late muzzleloader season into the end of december yet too.Probably do that one from a blind.
To be considered a buck in Iowa the deer needs forks.Spikes and buttons can get a doe tag.Some day I'd like to shoot a spike doe.I've never seen one hunting myself but others have shot them.
I generally skin and freeze the hides this time of year.Flesh them later next spring or summer to be brain tanned and smoked.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 07:17:07 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 07:15:59 am »
Congratulations Pappy. That really is a awesome hunting record with any weapon. Sure hope you get 40 more sir.

I was thinking you already had the slam. Going for number 2 ?

Thanks for sharing Pappy and everything you contributed to this site.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise