Author Topic: Hardwood shoot collecting time  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Hardwood shoot collecting time
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:00:09 am »
I took my dogs for a walk on this nice, cool autumn morning. I noticed an appropriate sourwood shoot, about the right size for an arrow so I cut it. As I walked home I used the back of my pruners blade(I carry them any time I walk in the woods) to scrape off the bark. Sourwood is the only hardwood shoot I remove the bark from when green because they have never checked on me. Most other hardwood shoots I've cut over the years do check if I remove the bark too soon. Results may vary with other's experiences.
 Anyway, now, through the winter is a great time to harvest hardwood shoots for arrows. Here are my tools for the job. I found a cheap 3/8" open end wrench I added a handle to(easier to find in my arrow tool box) that I use to gauge the diameter of the butt of the shoot and my Felco #2 pruning clippers I've had for years of landscape work. Shoots you collect now will be ready to make arrows with in a few months. I bundle the shoots using rubber bands to hold them together. The rubber bands allow the shoots to shrink as they dry, holding them straight until I get around to straightening them.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Hardwood shoot collecting time
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:51:15 pm »
The wrench is a hot tip, thanks for that Pat
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 01:25:25 pm »
You can find a 3/8" open end wrench for next to nothing at thrift shops, etc.  Making a lanyard to wear around your neck puts it right there when you need it.
 Once all the leaves are down sighting shoots is easier then when the leaves are out plus the moisture content of the shoots is lower making drying time less. If you have red osier or other bush type dogwoods, viburnum or other shoot bushes it's easier to see the appropriate size and shape shoots to collect. Try to find the straighter shoots for ease of straightening but even snaky shoots can be straightened with a little heat and elbow grease.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 01:36:25 pm »
Just yesterday I collected another 4 and two of those were so straight they looked like arrows already. It made me wonder whether it was worth it to cut crooked ones or if I should just get the rail straight ones. I've gathered prolly 30-40 shoots in the last couple weeks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 03:32:23 pm »
The straighter the better. Save the crooked ones for when you run out.  :OK

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 09:35:23 pm »
Ah yeah start easy and see how it goes. I like it

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:31:23 pm »
Will you be collecting some for trading?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 04:51:37 pm »
I'm always collecting as I walk our woods. Finding enough sourwood shoots is getting harder and harder around here because I've done it for years. Once the leaves drop I'll check the road banks near my house and see what I can come up with. I will be collecting hill cane probably after Christmas.

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 07:37:12 pm »
I'm always collecting as I walk our woods. Finding enough sourwood shoots is getting harder and harder around here because I've done it for years. Once the leaves drop I'll check the road banks near my house and see what I can come up with. I will be collecting hill cane probably after Christmas.

I never seem to see enough sourwood shoots to make arrows out of, maybe I should just collect and see how many I get...

Think we could maybe come up with a trade for some cane Pat? i've always wanted to try it out
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 08:53:33 am »
Once I get the hill cane collected I'd be happy to trade with you, Fox.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 10:39:28 am »
Fox, if you live in sourwood country look along road bank cuts the Highway Dept. mows. The sourwood shoots will be sticking up and easy to identify. If they still have leaves now the leaves and sometimes the bark on the shoots will be red. One other thing that is important for all hardwood shoots...Only cut second year growth. The first year the shoot will grow to their ultimate height and will have leaves along the shoot. The second year small branches will be growing from the bud above the leaf scar from the previous year. These are the shoots you want to cut. First year growth is usually too limber to make good shafts plus if you cut first year growth you eliminate next years shoots.

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 10:38:51 pm »
Okay thanks for that good info Pat!
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 11:33:52 am »
These are amur honeysuckle I collected yesterday. I've started debarking them immediately.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 12:20:16 pm »
I've never used honeysuckle but with most hardwood shoots I have used they will check if you remove the bark too soon. Some will take all but the last inch or 2 of the bark from each shoot and apparently they won't check. Except for sourwood I leave the bark on for a few months before removing it.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 12:41:11 pm »
@Allyn T
 i'd start to straighten by hand while still green
if you straighten every other day and bundle afterward for a week or so you may end up with arrow shafts that do not need heating
At least that's what I do with wild rose and hazel

sorry just read the other topic on green straightening