Author Topic: Rings on black locust  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Rings on black locust
« on: October 17, 2021, 07:50:03 am »
I just harvested a 7 inch diameter black locust tree but the most rings on the outside are really thin. How do i approach this?

Online bassman211

Re: Rings on black locust
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 08:28:26 am »
I have read were guys have made successful bows from BL by removing the bark , and using that for the bow back. That didn't work very well for me. Looks like you have enough stock to chase that stave to the first heavy heart wood ring. Though it would be a lot of work that would be my approach. Like an Osage stave, and would also trap the back. Tiller still needs to be spot on or the back will crack, or the belly will fret.JMHO

Offline M2A

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 09:29:29 am »
Those outside rings are junk. But like Bassman stats that 1st think ring just inside your thumb would be my starting point for the back. Provided it is a clean stave those thin rings will be easy work with a hatchet. I have found if i try an split it away with a thin wedge the split will just run out real fast. its not hard removing that stuff with a draw knife either, it with break off in small pieces but does take some time. If that was my piece I would remove half of that fine ring material with a hatchet looking for knots and marking them as I go, then take the rest down to that thick ring with a draw knife. Looks like you have a chance for 2 staves in there but I would want to see where any knots were before I split and it also has a harder bend at about 7 oclock that I would not want on the side of a stave but centered but sometimes a hard bend like that will move or disappear as you go down the stave and makes it awkward to tiller.  Regardless of 1 or 2 staves I would make sure I could get a minimum of 2" width for the belly of a stiff handled bow or 1 3/8" for a bendy style. From the little i can see it looks like some nice stuff, congrats on a good find. Seal them ends if you have not done so! And seal exposed wood on the back after working to prevent checks.
Mike           

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 09:38:28 am »
Get rid of the bark and sapwood. Then chase to your first decent heartwood ring.

The BL around here has bigger rings that.

Are you sure that is BL?

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:15 am »
thanks for the reply´s so far, i was doubting about split the first layers off but i dont want to risk a tear out. the log itself splitted like a piece of cake, 2 axes and a hammer was all it took. dont have that with the elm ive splitted.

at Jawge, im almost sure its black locust, the bark is way to rough for honey locust and i also hear that honey locust have more sapwood.

i still have a long way to go but i hope this will learn me how to treat heartwood bows (staves) so i will be cofident enough to buy some ossage staves( we dont have them growing here :'( )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
Ricardo, if there are thorns on the branches and twigs it is black locust. If the thorns(multi-pointed thorns)are along the trunk it would honey locust.
 Even though I have made good bows with BL sapwood I agree with George as to how to handle your dilemma.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bassman211

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 06:38:16 pm »
The grooves in the bark are deeper ,and rougher with black locust as shown in the pic.  Honey locust has lighter smoother bark in comparison.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 04:51:50 am »
remove the bark and seal the ends or it will check

like Bassman stats that 1st think ring just inside your thumb would be my starting point for the back.

if you follow this way you may try to split the external rings and make a light bow out ot them.
I made an almost completely sapwood BL that is quite snappy. That close rings may show their utility

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 02:49:04 pm »
remove the bark and seal the ends or it will check

like Bassman stats that 1st think ring just inside your thumb would be my starting point for the back.

if you follow this way you may try to split the external rings and make a light bow out ot them.
I made an almost completely sapwood BL that is quite snappy. That close rings may show their utility

+ 1
I prefer much smaller diameter with BL. So that the bow will have a high crown (no trapping neede).
So if it would be mine I would not mess around, just cut another stave. BL is everywhere ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 02:58:44 pm »
that tree had a rough life for the last 40 years.. must of been shaded really heavy.. way too much early wood ratio .. lots of wood removal there to be done.. but there is a few bows in that piece.. gut

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 03:01:40 am »
Send it to me!

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 09:34:10 am »
As long as you remove the sapwood and chase the ring below you should be fine. Or you can always split off the thinner rings. BL will easily split along growth rings.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 10:35:21 am »
That stave looks thick enough so you should be able to split the good heartwood off for a bow but also make a bow with the whitewood under the bark. Even if it is a light weight bow(under 40#) it will give you practice to prepare you for your next bow project.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 06:05:51 pm »
thanks for all the reply´s. i did split the log in quarters and sealed the ends, i wil try and split the most of the thin rings off, might end up with quite narrow staves but i will try them annyways because it would be a waste to just burn it. while its going to dry i will keep an eye out for dead standing trees because it didnt feel good to kill such an old tree for so little wood. as for the diameter of tree´s, are the outer growth rings be just as thick als the inner growth rings on big diameter trees because i see it quite ofthen that the innner rings are way nicer compared to the outer rings.

and bownarra, i dont know where you live but i think the shipping cost for a piece of log from the netherlands to usa will cost a bit