Author Topic: Bear meat  (Read 14229 times)

Offline Fox

Bear meat
« on: October 28, 2021, 10:06:45 pm »
Whadyall do with bear meat? We just found a perfect fresh roadkill bear and just finished butchering it, whadya do with the fat? There’s like a 1/4” slab of fat on the back strap.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Bear meat
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:07:32 pm »
 :o
What did you do with the hide, claws, and sinew?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 11:54:07 pm »
Render the fat down to fallow/lard/grease.  Never had bear meat, though.  Tan the hide and keep the claws for foofaraw and gifts.
Hawkdancr
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:55:18 pm »
OPPS! Tallow😂
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 12:54:13 am »
Yeah tanning the hide, should I leave fat on the meat though for cooking it in?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 07:00:09 am »
You can render it fox and then add it to the pan for cooking when you need it. Make sure all meat is cooked well done. Black bears carry trigonosis but cooking it well kills it. 90% of trigonosis cases in the USA come from black bear meat
In the woods I find my peace

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 08:44:37 am »
I'd trim the fat off just like any other meat to eat.Render the fat for use later.
I can only relate eating bear to eating coon and that's what I do with them.
Sharp freezing your meat to below -20 F. they say helps but cooking it to above 160 degrees before eating it is recommended.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:50:02 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:00:04 pm »
Bear meat makes great burger, culets and the back legs for roasts or hams
BowEd is right Sharp freeze and cook well like pork
Thanks Leroy 
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 02:12:48 pm »
Okay thanks guys! so why are you supposed to trim the fat off? why can't you leave it on and cook the meat in that fat? does the fat go bad? how do you do that with like ribs that are supposed to be fatty?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 02:29:12 pm »
Cook the meat WELL! Bear isn’t like deer or cow where you only need to sear the outside. Bear meat can have parasites that need to be killed before consumption. As long as the bear meat reaches a good internal temperature you’ll be fine,

Bear fat is used for many different things. It’s not that bear fat is not good, in fact it’s great eating (I personally think) but you’ll get more use out of it from rendering it out and using the oil for other things!

Bear burgers sounds great!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 02:44:37 pm »
Once rendered it will make the best pie crust you ever had. You can freeze the blocks of lard or can them
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 01:01:20 pm »
Rendered bear fat, bees wax and pine pitch heated and blended together makes a great leather dressing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 04:17:44 pm »
Along with black bear, you can also get trichinosis parasites from eating mountain lion, grizzly, wild or domestic hogs, and walrus. Yes, walrus.

There are tables published online on how to kill the trich' cysts and eggs by freezing, calculated as temperature against time. Colder temps for shorter times, etc. BUT you gotta take into account that you never get a 100% kill and still risk your life counting on freezing. Getting the meat cooked to a proper internal temperature and held there for a certain amount of time is critical. I recommend you do some reading on the subject, including Joe Rogan's experience with getting the disease.

That being said, if you have an excess of the fat, I'd like to make a batch of soap with it and would gladly share the proceeds back with you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 09:37:14 am »
Ground squirrels can also carry trichinosis. What has been said about internal temperature is true but surprisingly it's lower than most people would think. 140°F internal kills trichinosis..... actually it's 138°F. Like JW said, do your research.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 01:08:16 pm »
Along with black bear, you can also get trichinosis parasites from eating mountain lion, grizzly, wild or domestic hogs, and walrus. Yes, walrus.

There are tables published online on how to kill the trich' cysts and eggs by freezing, calculated as temperature against time. Colder temps for shorter times, etc. BUT you gotta take into account that you never get a 100% kill and still risk your life counting on freezing. Getting the meat cooked to a proper internal temperature and held there for a certain amount of time is critical. I recommend you do some reading on the subject, including Joe Rogan's experience with getting the disease.

That being said, if you have an excess of the fat, I'd like to make a batch of soap with it and would gladly share the proceeds back with you!

Yeah I know about trichinosis, defiantly being cautious. No rare meat *sigh* thats how I like it. We cooked up some backstrap and it was pretty darn good. although the backstrap is way different then a deer, theres so many different muscles and sinew running thru it! its a real pain!!