Author Topic: Recurve help!  (Read 2753 times)

bownarra

Re: Recurve help!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 03:01:01 am »
A few things I've learned from people on this forum. If possible work belly to one ring, make recurve area thin enough so wood doesn't get overstressed and crack, soak overnight & boil 45 mins to an hour, bend as soon as removed from boiling water, and bend in one smooth continuous motion. The next day I go back and set the curves with dry heat. The last 2 bows I've done this way and neither cracked without using a metal band like I've done previously. I also think making the limb as thin as you can get away with also helps.

That's how you do it ;)
People forget the soaking part too often - you have to raise the m.c. if you want things to go well :)
Likely you are trying to bend it when too thick. Remember you can always add a belly lam if you go too thin. Thin, moist wood is your friend :)
Its amazing what you can do with fully green wood that has been soaked for a few days.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »
Since this hasn't been posted, I might as well. This is a video from Weylin of Swiftwood bows showing how he recurves an osage bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JllYjPwi7Wc

Mark

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 01:51:24 pm »
Once I started soaking over night or at least a few hours then boiling, I haven’t had a problem. Woods are different tho. Osage can be heated with a heat gun and bent dry, but if your weary of that, boil. There’s no right way, but there is a wrong way, you’ll know it’s wrong with it splits. But even when they splinters, it’s usually fixable by rasping away the split, or if it’s too deep, a small lam of the same wood, most won’t even notice.
Eric

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 10:07:19 am »
I bent a radical curve last night on a hickory bow.. I'll try and video tonight's attempt.. soaked bow tip over night , and boiled for an hour. Tip is about 5/8 thick maybe 3/4. added boiling water around mid point to pot.. my metal band is 2 inch wide.. bent beautifully no splinter whatsoever. as long as the band covers the belly completely I expect no issues, my anxiety was high though LOL.. bend is almost 90 degree so I have to boil.. this bow when done goes in heated closet over winter. because of hickory's hygroscopic nature this works well for me down south . in about 3 months I'll pull it out fix any alignment issues with dry heat and maybe reflex with dry heat before I start tillering process. not sure if I will heat treat this bow .. time will tell..  gut

gutpile

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 09:33:54 am »
I got two videos of recurving my hickory bow however it won't post here as usual... one is my set up and how I do it , the other is the process.. sorry guys... it is on mewe  "primitive life" group if interested.. I refuse to upload to you tube... gut

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 10:50:00 am »
also on my instagram.. dm for profile.. sorry I can't post them here.. gut

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 10:46:14 am »

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 10:47:22 am »

Offline Will B

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 06:10:45 pm »
Looks like it will be an awesome hickory recurve Kirk. Thanks for showing us how you do it.