Author Topic: Blanks  (Read 10391 times)

gene roberts

Blanks
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:44:18 pm »
You know,like cut-outs.Do they make the point any more breakable???

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:37 am »
I've only had one experience with a sawn obsidian knife blank and it was bad, but not due to the fault of the blank.  I dropped it from a height of about 6 feet and it broke in two.   I was able to make a shorter point from it and it appears to be quite durable.  Lots less waste in buying it that way, plus no need for percussion work.  Get out the Ishi stick or flaker and get after it.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

gene roberts

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:26 am »
Thats what I'm doin'[(pressure flaker).It is soooooooo much easier.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:35:39 pm »
ive heard of guys using them, but whether its cut out or a freshly knapped point if dropped id thinkk it would break. O:) i had some glass i was gonna use for a knife and i droped it from a couple feet...... ;D snapped the tip right off... ::)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57:52 pm »
 Almost all of them will break if you drop them on something hard. I kill stuff with points knapped from blanks. If it hits bone and breaks inside, that's better. It makes for a lot of small cutting blades then. Using blanks allows me to make larger, longer, and keep the weight down by being able to make them thinner. I like big entry and exit holes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
this is why i love glass and because no spalling or pecussion is involved
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

gene roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:08:32 am »
YEAH,it is so much easier.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:38:28 am »
Cheaters! If you really knapp you spall and knapp those. Seperates the men from the boys!  >:D

Become primitive! Spall your rock!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:22 am »
Tiller some of us don't have access to tons of rock, so as soon as I find a reasonable saw I will be slabbing rock.
I can't just go for a short drive and fill my truck so its trade or buy it! So if I want to make the most of my rock slabbing is going to be
a necessity. Anyone have a saw for trade?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:15:15 pm »
  Dana, My thoughts exactly. I can spall rock but I sure like to stretch it as far as I can. In 5 or 6 days at Pappy's,just look at how high that rubble got and the amount of finished points that were produced.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »
I would love to buy a Saw....but have you looked at the Price of one that will cut Rocks...not just Trim stock??? They are way out of my Range....think I will buy my Blanks also!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 02:04:29 pm »
Thunderchert is free, and just like blanks..... ;D

I roughed out a piece last night sitting on the steps. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 02:14:53 pm »
I bought some sawed slabs couple of years ago and just prefer spalling and working them into something - but of course I have plenty of rocks. Seemed to be something mystical about making one out of a rock I picked up there for awhile :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 02:20:33 pm »
Tiller some of us don't have access to tons of rock, so as soon as I find a reasonable saw I will be slabbing rock.
I can't just go for a short drive and fill my truck so its trade or buy it! So if I want to make the most of my rock slabbing is going to be
a necessity. Anyone have a saw for trade?

I'll be your pusher Dana! It'll cost ya though. Lets see, primo obsidian and daycite....for.... ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »
See what I mean Tiller always a cost involved, now if I was truly your friend rock
would just show up my doorstep ifin ya know what I mean ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI