Author Topic: Cherokee legend of invisible warriors who could shoot arrows around obstacles.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Gimlis Ghost

I had read of this many years ago. Never connected it with Turkish archery till now.

https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheSpiritDefendersOfNikwasi-Cherokee.html

Some believe that Turkish POWs abandoned by Sir Francis Drake on the eastern coast of North America joined with some native American tribes.
The Turks had been captured by the Spanish and forced to serve as conscripted soldiers in South America.
Drake captured a Spanish ship carrying hundreds of these Turks and unable to guard so many prisoners he abandoned them on the Carolina coastline.

Lars Anderson has in recent years demonstrated the Turkish trick of curving the flight of arrows around obstacles.

Offline Hawkdancer

Interesting tale!  It is good to hear the stories of theNativesand First People's!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Gimlis Ghost

I became interested in these legends long ago and my interest increased after inheriting a five acre lot on Copper Ridge near the Kentucky border.
I found there was a lot of history associated with this spot including caves where Cherokee performed ceremonies seeking a passage to the spirit world.
First time I visited the property as an adult I found a natural look out spot overlooking the river where one could hear plainly the voices of those on the other side of the river thousands of yards away. Such an unusual natural phenomena must have suggested supernatural qualities to the spot along with the caverns underneath.
I had been inside the caves only once as a small boy. Even then the openings above had been plugged up with tree stumps and they could only be entered through a opening at the river acessable by a flat bottomed boat.

In olden times one could have entered from above and crossed the river in secrecy to launch raids. If pursued raiders could bring their canoes deep into the caves seeming to simply disappear.

At one time or another the caverns had been used by bandits and river pirates.

Offline Hawkdancer

Interesting tale!  It is good to hear the stories of theNativesand First People's!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry