Author Topic: Cold hardening  (Read 1384 times)

Offline sleek

Cold hardening
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:33 pm »
Does anyone else do this to their bodies for winter? I go as long as I can in as light as possible clothing, avoiding all heated areas to get my body to adapt to the cold well. I find it helps with hunting and reducing how cold I feel in general throughout each winter. Anyone do anything similar?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TimBo

Re: Cold hardening
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 12:20:19 pm »
I tried it once, but I don't think five minutes is an adequate amount of time!

Offline Jon_W

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:07:33 pm »
I've been doing something similar this year as a test. I just turned on the heat of the apartment but it was at a consistent 58F for a while. Been taking showers as cold as I can for some time now too. I haven't felt chilly until this afternoon practicing in a brisk wind with some snow falling. The showers certainly aren't fun though.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men"   ~ Maurice Thompson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 08:38:35 pm »
I used to do this every fall. Never wear a coat until it was absolutely necessary. Every morning I'd take the dog for a half hour walk wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt. I found that I was far better at tolerating the variation between temps in the office and temps outdoors. Even the drive to work was an opportunity to harden up. I'd run the heat just to clear the windshield.

There are physical AND mental aspects to it. First thing is to learn to relax all your muscles while you are cold. Tensing up against the cold only blocks blood flow, exacerbating the issue.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 10:48:43 am »
Back when I was younger and often hunted almost every day if I could, I  remember a distinct improvement in my ability to withstand cold and blustery weather the more I stayed out in it.

On one long stretch of exposure day after day I noticed that I had dropped 10lbs from my body burning a exorbitant amount of calories just to keep me warm.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 11:57:27 am »
I do it. I also stay barefoot while at home all winter long
since i started, many many years ago, i avoided almost completely coughs, colds and flu

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 01:02:31 pm »
once when i was on a hunt with my friend in a deerstand, i was shivering like crazy! like CRAAAZZZYY! but then i realized.... why am i shivering, and told myself to stop. i was much warmer from then on and i was way more comforable. i just needed to make myself be ok with the cold and embrace it instead of fighting it. if i did this, my body would take care of me. sometimes your mind tries to do what only your body can.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 01:23:34 pm »
Many years ago I read a study of Apalachian mountain folk of the early 20th century. The observer noted that the women folk would go barefoot during their early morning chores in the coldest weather then put shoes on after breakfast. They told him this made their feet feel warm as toast for the rest of the day.