Author Topic: Tillering issues  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Calios

Re: Tillering issues
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 07:29:17 pm »
Yes, I ve already done some work around there. It's looking pretty even now. I'll try to post some new pictures to show results. Would you suggest for another try on heat treating both limbs again?  Thanks again, atb  :BB

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 03:39:48 am »
No I would tiller it to full draw then heat treat again.

Offline Calios

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 03:25:50 pm »
Here's my tillering process so far, it still looks stiff on the right but i can't figure out wher the problem is, tried to pull it up to 27 and didnt break, maybe it's a good sign...

Offline Calios

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 04:55:48 am »
I mean the left limb, it was the right in the other photos

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:38 pm »
There's a thick spot half way along that limb. Do you have any calipers? I use mine a lot to check the thickness tapers correctly

Offline Calios

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 02:36:00 pm »
Unfortunately i don't have a caliper, i think i should get one, it could come handy. I'll try to remove more wood along that mid portion of the left limb in the photo. Finger crossed, thank you

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 08:32:03 pm »
Try using "finger calipers" - if you put your thumb on the belly and finger on the back (or vice versa) and slide them up and down the limb with light pressure, it is actually pretty easy to feel thickness discrepancies. 

Offline Calios

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 06:58:07 am »
Oh right, i'll go with that, thats part of experiencing after all :OK

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 07:01:16 am »
You can make a set, or even use an adjustable wrench. Having measurements is nice, but the most important part is having a constant taper.
Don

bownarra

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 02:23:29 pm »
Left limb looks pretty good. The right limb is weak on the inner third.
Be very careful from here on out. Only very small amounts of wood need to come off. At this point I use a coarse/bastard file, a sharp scraper and once I've finished with the scraper 60 grit sandpaper works well to gently ease off stiff areas.
Are you pulling to your intended draw weight in the photo?

Offline Calios

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 08:13:50 pm »
Unfortunately not, the fact that the left limb looks weak freezes me with fear to even try to pull further, and the bow hasn't even been strung to max brace height. I would have been satisfied with a 40# bow but i think i'll be bound to reconsider my plans. At the moment i'm only removing wood on the left limb, trying to balance it, wish me luck, thank you all, atb

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 11:17:53 am »
brace the bow now.. you will see the weak and strong limb easily.. gut

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 03:21:34 pm »
Oh.  Brace it.  Brace it straight away.  I like to get to a low brace, balance and tiller at low brace, gradually increase brace height, tillering all the while.  If you get to 6 inch brace height with good tiller, there's very little work left to do

bownarra

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 02:37:05 am »
I wouldn't brace it when the limbs are clearly different shapes and not the same strength (as per last photo), if this bow was braced in this condition you would introduce some set.
nothing wrong with using the longstring to get it all even before bracing it :) I longstring all bows out to around 20". Then go to a low brace.
You can take a fully tillered bow and put it on the longstring to see the difference in bend. A longstring 'tiller' will be slightly stiff mid to out limb but not hard to account for and my goal is always to keep strain to the minimum until the bow is bending really well and can take it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2021, 03:30:40 am »
Bownarra is a way better builder than I, go with his advice. If you do go brace it, make it a low brace of no more than 2inches