Author Topic: Bark Quiver the second  (Read 3817 times)

Offline AndrewS

Bark Quiver the second
« on: November 03, 2021, 12:26:23 pm »
Here I will show you a elmbark quiver. It is a side quiver "stalker style". It is made from a tube of thick elm bark.
For the bottomplug I use a tranch of a small tree fixed with small wooden plugs.
Sewn together is the elm bark with chair weave cane (I think it is made of rattan). At the top edge is a leather strip sewn around against too much arrow rattling and the leather loops for the carrying strap are also sewn with the chair weave cane to the quiver. The carrying strap is braided from hemp cord.
On the bottom I want to insert an slice of birch porling, so that the arrows can be firmly inserted with the tip - I usually use foam inlays for this purpose.
No glue is used for building...
Hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:39:40 pm by AndrewS »

Offline AndrewS

Re: Bark Quiver the second
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »
Here I have attached the bark quiver to a large haversack out of brain tanned deerhide.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:00:51 pm »
Another very cool bark quiver, Andrew.
 Do you have any "How To" pics of your processes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:33:53 pm »
Hi Pat, there are currently no pictures of the entire process. The barks I'm processing right now have all been in stock for quite a few years. The elm bark is from freshly cut trunks. The bark is very easy to peel off. For the thick pieces, I left most of the bast on and put the pieces around a tube (2 - 4inch diameter plastic tube) and set them aside to dry. For the thinner pieces, I still peeled out the bast. The fresh bast is very fibrous and is great for weaving into cords. The Ainu have probably also made clothing from elm bast (but there are still more processing steps necessary).

I got the cherry bark from relatively large trees that had all been cut down for a few months. It was easy to peel the bark off as large slabs. I then dried the bark plates between wooden boards. Unfortunately, because of the large lenticels, the bark is not as perfect for work as the black cherry or the Japanese cherries in kabazaiku (the Japanese make very nice tea caddies and the l
so stuffout of cherry bark).
For cherry bark harvesting, Dustybear was there once too....

Recently I stumbled upon my bark supplies and have once again started to make them into quivers. I had tried some models before. But they are all given away to other people.

I'd like to cover another sheet or two with matching cherry bark pieces for backing and maybe a quiver ..... Right now I've made rings out of small narrow strips of the bark.
I also have elm bark for two or three quivers - let's see what I make for quivers out of that.

At least the elm bark solo is quite sensitive to moisture. It quickly becomes quite soft when it rains. I will impregnate it with tung oil or linseed oil.
The cherry bark is super waterproof!

Next is a quiver made of birch bark - the birch bark is from Latvia from a dealer at a craft market. In Scandinavia and the Baltic States there is an old culture in birch bark processing and especially the suitable birch trees to harvest the bark. In Germany, I have not yet run across any suitable birch trees.

With the next quivers I will make  a few photos of the manufacturing process.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 12:11:00 am »
Thanks for your description, Andrew. I miss Dustybear. If you see Marius tell him hey for me.  :OK  We spent a weekend together at the Tennessee Classic way back when.
 I cut an overgrown Kwanzan cherry a couple of years ago and peeled the bark off. I was going to make bow backing strips from it but the lenticels are quite pronounced. I can now see them on a quiver like your first one.  On your quiver with the cherry bark wrap how did you fasten the bark to the core tube?
 I've removed bark from hickory trees I've cut with hopes of making a quiver but as they dried, even on a plastic pipe they curled into themselves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 05:56:22 am »
Pat, I will tell Marius from you....

First pic shows how I had wrapped the elmbark around a tube. That is the thin version. Hickory bark is very thick and hard if dry. May be you can soak it in warm water and give it a new form before drying again.

I cut the slit for gripping the arrows with a bandsaw in the dry bark tube and after I sew the overlapping pieces with the chair weave cane.

On the second pic is a drawing of the cherrystripe connection.

I made a long (endless) stripe of cherrybark that is fixed at the start with 5 min Epoxy and then wrapped around the whole tube of elmbark. Then I fixed it at the opening of the quiver also with 5min Epoxy and later a I have sewn around with a thin cherrybark stripe....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 05:58:36 am »
More pics of different  stages of cherrybark.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 10:19:53 am »
Thanks, Andrew. I'll be giving the bark quicer a try next spring and I'll work on the Kwanzan cherry bark to see what I can do with it.  :OK
I appreciate your explanations.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 03:28:26 am »
Cool.
Like the attachment to the haversack.
Frank from Germany...

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 04:11:53 am »
@ Frank

me too 8)

Offline M2A

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 08:54:41 am »
Little late, I know, but really cool! This and the other quiver. Enjoy seeing work such as this, thanks for sharing.
Mike 

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 09:35:37 am »
Very nice work.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 06:01:59 pm »
thanks for your comments.