Author Topic: Rose shoots for arrow shafts?  (Read 12589 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Rose shoots for arrow shafts?
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:02 am »
Got access to a ton of wild rose shoots on a neighbors property and I am in the process of turning them into arrows. Anyone have sugestions and hints for doing this?  How should they be trimmed?

Also, I found that these dry very diferently than sapling shoots. Seems the small second year growths are the best and the ones that are forced to reach for sun are the straightest.

Anyone made these before? How do they shoot?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

Re: Rose shoots for arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:09 am »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:36 am »
Most species of roses make good arrows. I've used multiflora, Carolina, and swamp rose. Leave them a little long, some kinds check badly. I've found that I can usually peel the bark on multiflora, but swamp rose checks to hell if you peel it too quickly. I let them season awhile, periodically hand straightening them, then debark, heat-straighten, and plane them down to diameter with a thumb plane. Like you already found, you need at least second-year shoots, the first year ones are thin-walled with a lot of pith. They're not as tough as some hardwood shoots, but at least as strong as cedar shafts and heavy enough for hunting arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:44:27 am »
I would agree Hillbilly with the Swamp rose checking more and severe. MF seems to check sometimes even when I debark after cutting. I know that peopple suggest not to but it works fine for me and saves time because it's a lot like debarking Hickory when the sap is up.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
I found less checking, with multiflora anyway, if you de-bark all but the last inch or two from the ends.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:56:54 pm »
Dont know what type it is but when it gets older it can grow really tall.  It also has tons of small little thorns on it and the early skin on it is brown then becomes a grey with age. Those growing under tall trees and brush seem to loose most of their thorns and grow thick and very straight with few side shoots. It also gets small pinkish red flowers with a yellow center. Any idea which type this is?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:01:31 pm »
I'm probably wrong for your area, but sounds like multiflora to me.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:23:01 pm »
Multiflora usually has small white flowers, not pink. Looking at the USDA map, you have several native roses plus several introduced ones in OR. You'll probably have to do a bit of research to see which one you have. If it makes good arrowshafts, just call it "arrowshaft rose".  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:36:43 pm »
Makes really good shafts Steve (Got it right this time!)  ;D But, I seem never to get a chance to really work on the stuff and make much from it. Now that I have a ton of it I will be playing with it more.

David T

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:13 pm »
Multiflora usually has small white flowers, not pink.

Naw, I've seen pink flowers as well on multiflora -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiflora_Rose
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:14:30 pm »
Nope, thats not it. Bark is all wrong. Thanks for the try on ident!

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 07:08:06 pm »
HEy Dave!!

YEah dude, I know the wild rose you're talking about.  I've found it in Oregon in the dry side of the cascades.  IT grows really straight and has tons of needle-like thorns all over it.  I've used it for arrows and it works great.  Second year growth is much better.  Dave Cheney and Steve Allely use syringa, but wild rose is also really, really good.  Oceanspray is also an excellent arrow material.

Hope you're doing well over there!

Billy   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »
Doing great Billy! Yep! Thats the one! You wouldnt happen to know what the species is?

Things here are good. Just got back from the Tenn. Classic. You have got to join us all there  next year. It was a heck of a good time. I will try and get Keenan and Dave to come allong too. Think you can make it?

David T

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »
Could it be Rosa rugosa?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »
Thats IT! Rosa Rugosa! Thanks Pat!