Author Topic: Yew wood discoloration  (Read 939 times)

Offline Kidder

Yew wood discoloration
« on: November 10, 2021, 12:47:41 am »
So I managed to score some yew boards while I was home on Vancouver island with the intent of making some boo yews. I’ve glued up and floor tillered my first attempt and have started to question the discoloration in areas of the grain. Initially I thought it was just because the grain was kind of wavy in that area but now I’m wondering if it’s spalting and will destine my attempt at failure. Picture is below. Secondly, this is my first attempt at working yew and I’m noticing it is substantially more difficult to work with than Osage, locust, or hickory. It seems to tear out and chatter the grain as I’m tooling it with my card scraper and then requires a significant sanding each time to get smooth. Is this normal with yew? Do i just need less pressure and sharper tools? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

bownarra

Re: Yew wood discoloration
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 02:06:10 am »
Yew will always be a bit 'funny' with edged tools. Some is ok but watch for those grain dips! Yes super sharp cabinet scrapers are a must (with all woods!). I will rough out yew with drawknife and spokeshave but switch to rasps and files and the odd wipe with a scraper.
As for the discolouration it isn't spalting -yew is an amazingly rot resistant wood.....but you just never know how it has been treated before you got hold of it. Do some bend tests on it. Make some mini bows (scaled) and see how it reacts.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Yew wood discoloration
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 03:37:06 am »
Yew is very variable, sonetimes it works beautifully with edged tools, other times it tears and has to be worked with a rasp. (It has nothing to do with it's country of origin!).
It doesn't matter much on the belly of the bow. The thing you have to watch out for is rot in the sapwood, but this on;y applies if you have a sapwood back.
Yew heartwood backed with Bamboo, Hickory or Ash is a great combination.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.