Author Topic: Hickory backed bows and moisture.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Morgan

Hickory backed bows and moisture.
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:44:23 pm »
I have a hankering to make a hickory backed ipe bow. Have several ipe boards, no hickory backings yet. I was wondering if the way hickory absorbs moisture affects the performance of the bow when used as a backing since there is really not much of the bow that is hickory? I’ll have a lot more questions as I go I am sure since backed board bows is not what I’m used to making.

Offline Hamish

Re: Hickory backed bows and moisture.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 05:58:49 pm »
I've never noticed any drop in performance over time with hickory backed bows. My guess is because the hickory is working only in tension, and makes up a relatively small amount of the the entire bows weight. Perhaps the loss of performance with high moisture hickory, occurs mainly in the belly, with compression?
I also glue up 1-2" of reflex into the stave, it really helps with preventing set.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 11:09:16 pm »
Not enough to worry about.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 03:02:09 am »
Doesn't matter because it is in tension.
It would if the hickory was on the belly of a lam bow though - even if it was a thin lam.
Backed ipe is a great lam bow combo here in humid England. The ipe just shrugs off humidity :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 09:58:23 am »
I've made many hickory backed bows with many different belly woods and cores and never noticed a difference in performance during high humidity times.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 08:10:16 pm »
Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying it. The moisture resistance of the ipe is a huge draw to me, summer and early fall humidity in eastern Oklahoma takes a toll on whitewoods.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 11:19:47 pm »
Hickory backed ipe makes a great bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 12:10:13 am »
I bought several of those boards 5 or 6 years ago with the intention to make a boo or hickory backed bow, always wind up working with a stave though. Need to hunt me up a hickory to try to get some backing strips off of. I really like narrow limbed bows and think I’ll try one with 1” wide limbs. How do you reckon a pyramid design 66” with limbs 1”wide @ fades tapering to 5/16 or 3/8 at the tips would do? Read it don’t take but just a little bit of ipe to make a bow but Would that be too narrow?