Author Topic: Thin growth rings  (Read 2102 times)

Offline bluejack

Thin growth rings
« on: November 11, 2021, 11:13:47 am »
Hello, First time posting a question-I have a really nice osage stave with extremely tight growth rings. I`m haviing trouble following just one ring. My question is can I violate the rings if I`m planning on backing with rawhide ?Thanks in advance.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Thin growth rings
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 12:15:35 pm »
If you are planning to back the bow, small violations should be ok. just do not bend the bow before you back it. try not to rely on the rawhide backing, try your best to make a bow without violations, but if you make a small mistake, the rawhide should keep it together.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 12:24:57 pm »
Welcome to PA, bluejack.
I agree with Russell 100%...and to think a couple of years ago he was asking similar questions.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 04:31:44 pm »
Welcome to PA, bluejack.
I agree with Russell 100%...and to think a couple of years ago he was asking similar questions.  :OK

Aye, just so recently he was crawling about the shop floor sticking shavings in his mouth and now look at him!

Don't fret yourself rushing the job of getting to a single growth ring. If it means slowly scraping away to get it, then so be it. Put on some good music or a compelling audiobook and surrender yourself to the process. I just spent four hours scraping the cambium layer off a hackberry stave that I put up 10 years ago. It was stuck on tighter than a miser's grip on a nickel. Meanwhile, Tana French's book about a Chicago policeman retired to rural Ireland kept me company as I alternately scraped away and took breaks to brew a fresh cuppa tea.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 01:31:53 pm »
Welcome to PA, bluejack.

Aye, just so recently he was crawling about the shop floor sticking shavings in his mouth and now look at him!

Hey!! Who told you bout that!   ;D ;)

Now i only chew on premium quality toothpicks lolllll
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 08:37:48 pm »
This question should be in the bow building section. I agree the How To looks like a place to ask How To but is is actually people telling how to make things or showing projects they have built step by step.