Author Topic: Sinew on mediocre Osage  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Kidder

Sinew on mediocre Osage
« on: November 14, 2021, 12:36:53 am »
Osage is hard to come by for me. So when I get some I need to take advantage of it. So I’ve got a shorter piece - about 57 inches long. I had planned to recurve the tips, sinew back it, and tiller it to 26 inches (stiff handle). I was planning on sinewing it because it is very thin ringed and also because it’s short. Now in really tearing into it, I’ve got a clean back but the rings below it are mediocre quality. What I mean is that the early to late wood ratio is probably 50/50. I don’t have enough thickness to get a better ratio - it is what it is at this point. That said, will sinew backing it have any negative effects given this issue? Thanks.

Offline Hamish

Re: Sinew on mediocre Osage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 05:24:30 am »
I'd heat treat the belly if you haven't already, then back it with the sinew.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 09:19:55 am »
I agree with Hamish, heat treating is magical.

Sometimes inferior wood will surprise you, it sounds like your bow will be a winner with the the way you have it planned out.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:08:28 am »
 For that very reason most of my Osage bows are sinew backed. Last one I built is holding nearly 3 inches of reflex, and is a fast shooting ,smooth drawing bow at 45lbs, and a little over 25 inches of draw tillered to 26 inches, and 58 inches nock to nock. Heat treat the belly on a form after floor tiller, and get every thing lined up, and then sinew back the bow. Make sure the sinew is dry before you start the tillering process. Good info above. Good luck.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:11:37 am »
I've had some 'poor' osage staves that have made sterling bows. Thin ringed staves can be very good. The stuff about rings is a good guide but only a guide.....you find out when you bend it :)
At that length sinew is a good idea.