Author Topic: Need help on a price quotation for a ceremonial bow  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Need help on a price quotation for a ceremonial bow
« on: December 04, 2021, 07:30:25 pm »
Hi,

a Japanese lady went out of her way to ask me to make an exact custom replica of a ceremonial bow belonging to her family. The original unfortunately gave up due to being old.

This bow is merely ceremonial, it is used in shamanic rituals and doesn't cast arrows, it is small, with a considerably high, disproportionate even, brace height, a roundish section and it will be used almost as a musical instrument of sorts by percussing a stick on its string during the rituals.

I accepted and she asked me for a price quotation. I normally ask 200/220€ for a normal bow and the highest I have ever charged someone so far is 265€, but this bow?

I'll make it out of rattan, the material in itself is not expensive, but all things considered it is a quite special project, albeit the complexity of it does not appear to be excessive.

What sum would you ask the lady for this bow?

Offline simk

Re: Need help on a price quotation for a ceremonial bow
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 11:40:34 am »
maybe ask yourself how much work compared to other bows this stick might will be, then set your price  :)   
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 12:26:00 pm »
Sounds like it will be a work of art so charge accordingly. I guess a lot will depend on the amount of work that goes into it. Even though it will be used as a ceremonial display you have to make it safe just incase someone tries to draw it
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 03:37:42 pm »
Hi,

a Japanese lady went out of her way to ask me to make an exact custom replica of a ceremonial bow belonging to her family. The original unfortunately gave up due to being old.

This bow is merely ceremonial, it is used in shamanic rituals and doesn't cast arrows, it is small, with a considerably high, disproportionate even, brace height, a roundish section and it will be used almost as a musical instrument of sorts by percussing a stick on its string during the rituals.

I accepted and she asked me for a price quotation. I normally ask 200/220€ for a normal bow and the highest I have ever charged someone so far is 265€, but this bow?

I'll make it out of rattan, the material in itself is not expensive, but all things considered it is a quite special project, albeit the complexity of it does not appear to be excessive.

What sum would you ask the lady for this bow?

You probably should find out the exact wood used in making the original. Rattan may not produce the same tone unless the original was also made of Rattan . Same goes for the string.
Just looking the same may not be enough to satisfy the customer.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 06:17:36 pm »
there is no set rule,,
ask what will make the project worth it too you,,
just because you ask a price does not mean the client will agree,,
so ask what is good for you and you feel good about,, and be flexible if want to,,,
its seems you are saying the bow will be more challenging than what you usually do,
if it was me I would ask double my normal price,, and go from there depending on how the clinet responds,,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 10:54:51 am »
As far as pricing goes, I would run to the other end of the spectrum. For something like this I would refuse to accept money, asking only that she mentions my name to her ancestors.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 04:17:43 pm »
You might offer to make the bow at a discount price if the buyer agreed that you could use images of it as advertising your craftsmanship.
This might result in future commissions since there are no doubt many such ceremonial bows that will sooner or later need to be replaced.

Also I suspect ordering such a bow from a reputable maker in Japan could be much more expensive for them compared to whatever you choose to charge.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 01:16:20 pm »
I'm with Gimlis
i'd start to investigate the importance of the sound part
it may require time and skills usually not applied in bow building

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 06:39:10 pm »
The use of an image of a bow that you take, belongs to you, because you hold the copyright. You don't need to ask for permission.

I think you need to find out what the clients budget is, what are their requirements-does it need to be functional, or does it just need to look a certain way? What materials do they want, and what degree of finish? If this fits your skill set, you can make the job for fair recompense, accept the job. Assess the postage costs(carefully check postal length limitations for the clients country). Take a 50% deposit, before you start the work.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 07:06:38 pm »
This might help.
The bow is called " Azusayumi " or in English "the Catalpa Bow" because they are made from Catalpa wood.
https://pamandjapan.tumblr.com/post/15382948811/%E6%A2%93%E5%BC%93-azusayumi-the-azusayumi-is-a-japanese-bow

The Azusayumi is a Japanese bow made from the wood of the Catalpa tree. Playing it forms several parts of some Shinto rituals. Japanese miko are very skilled in using the azusayumi.

Sounds like the sound quality is a major consideration in making these.
Catalpa wood is used in making high end guitars and is described as very resonant.

I don't think I'd take on this build unless I could find proper Catalpa wood.