Author Topic: Hunters moon  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Hunters moon
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 09:10:33 am »
Deer drives scare me I want no part of that. Poor Wisconsin has areas with cwd rates as high as 50% sooner or later there won't be any deer left up there
In the woods I find my peace

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 09:40:26 am »
The farming families do this deer driving routine most times on land they own.They look at it as getting rid of deer that eat their crops.I believe they do eat most of them though.
Wisconsins' hunting laws let rifle hunters hunt through the rut.They kill all the big bucks.CWD is very prevelant in their state too.It's here in Iowa too but not as much.
I have a DNR biologist come over [no cost to me] to extract the gland from the base of the skull of every deer I shoot.I butcher the deer myself.Put it in freezer and wait for the results on line that I can access myself.Has'nt been a positive result from any of my deer here.
He's a nice fella and is interesting to talk to.He's fascinated by my self bow and self arrow hunt routine.He likes to turkey hunt with a shotgun himself.He's far too busy to deer hunt getting results from deer that are shot and road killed deer.Think they've got 2 biologists working this area testing at the moment.Another lady that I see now and then at quick stop gas stations before.They go to locker plants to test the deer brought in there too.
The reason I'm told that there is a shut down for bow season for shot gun season here in iowa is so that farmers can hunt during shot gun season after harvest.It's an old old law.Nothing to do with saving big bucks with no shot gun or rifle season though the bow season.
It's all about the money with the state.They claim it's their deer and we take care of them and get the privilege to hunt them from them.Does that make sense?????I guess there has to be some sort of management done but it could be in a different way too.We are a nation of laws.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 10:05:03 am »
Yeah Ed in Missouri our rifle season is during the rut too. You can use a bow during rifle season here but you have to wear orange and use a rifle tag. MDC will test any of our deer but you have to bring them to certain places to get them to take out the samples, they don't come to us. Now if you're in a CWD management zone every year opening weekend of rifle season, every deer killed in that county those two days you are required to check them in at CWD stations. So we get a ton of deer tested every year.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 10:14:50 am »
It's still an individual choice here to test or not.Many don't.No valid scientific data shows it's dangerous eating the meat of an infected deer.
I still just test mine anyway.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 10:18:25 am »
Yeah I've heard that too, no deer to human transmission yet. Remember in Europe mad cow only caught on in people because they were actually eating the brains. I'm more worried about it spreading through the deer populations.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 10:46:19 am »
It's still a chess game here the way I see it hunting these deer.They make a move I make a move.
This nocturnal behavior is'nt just with bucks either.They all will do it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 03:50:34 pm »
This is the first year I'm in a DMA we had a CWD case a county over I think, so it just is getting here... my bow season runs from October to January 1st and theres muzzleloader and rifle for a few different weeks during that. I can hunt during rifle and muzzleloader  with a bow, although I usually do pick up a rifle for 2 weeks during that season so I can get something. I haven't taken a deer yet with the bow, fingers crossed it will happen this season. I've already gotten closer to it then last year and I've still got a few months so we'll see!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:48:32 pm by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 11:05:28 am »
The best of luck to you then.Your right there is plenty of time as long as the weather holds up.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2021, 11:14:40 pm »
Today I took my two dogs out for a hike in our state park.  We saw a very large buck just standing in plain sight (but close to the edge of the woods) by the park road.  When we parked, a doe ran by with a smaller buck in hot pursuit.  This was around noon, overcast and a bit drizzly.  I think things are getting going in north Missouri!  Now I just need to get out there.  I am a bit more motivated after seeing all those deer (plus another doe while driving out), but still short on available time. :(

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 07:49:06 am »
Yep.Even though I was'nt in the stand yesterday because it was raining steady here I saw a nice older buck at the edge of my corn field too.Seen him before earlier from one of my stands late into the low light of the day out of range pushing a doe into the corn field.I know where his does are.Their on the neighbors ground.I'll have to try to get a shot at him.We've gotten over 5" of rain here in the last 2 days and it's not done yet.That's ok.The land needs it here.
Everybody has their memorable experiences while hunting and the most deer under my stand this time of year while hunting was 7 deer.All within 20 yards horseing around.4 bucks [all 1.5 year old] and 3 does.One of the does was in estrus for sure.I never did get a shot though.The more deer the more eyes.
The bucks around here will be standing along the edge of the roads at all hours of the day and night.Reason why many deer here are hit by cars and trucks.Not good for the insurance companies....ha ha.If you have comprehensive coverage for sure.
I guess I've been lucky through the years not hitting deer.Some people hit them regularly.
As a kid I was always a road ditch hunter.Still am but not to much of a degree any more.I'm always looking in the ditch with my peripheral vision looking for something out of place.The reflection of an eye in the light at night.Old habits are hard to break.The lighting on my trucks is always very good too.
Guess what I'm saying is it has to always be in mind while driving.At least in this country I live in.Second nature so to speak.
Although in some states the thick cover can be right up to the edge of the shoulder of the road.Common sense prevails then knowing the area and the time of year to just not drive as fast if it's sketchy.Respecting the signs for deer crossing area is advised too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:14:07 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 08:25:08 am »
Buck seem to be hanging in groups still here. I haven't seen anything to indicate the rut being on yet. Even scrapes seem somewhat unattended.

I'm on vacation after today. I hope the weather holds.
Don

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 07:50:38 am »
Good time for a vacation.Give em time they'll figure it out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:12:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2021, 02:42:08 pm »
About this CWD......It's generally a belief or consenus by biologists that it's the older mature bucks that spread this disease because of their wider ranging nature.
I've seen big dead bucks here before usually early fall,but figure they died from EHD,or blue tongue.They die from that within a few weeks after being bit by a fly in the dry years.CWD can take a lot longer up to 3 years.Painful looking process to see I guess.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:02:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed