Author Topic: hot enough?  (Read 10127 times)

Offline paulc

Re: hot enough?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 07:51:27 pm »
So first real knife I put any work into. Not done yet but I like it. The handle is too short but I think I'm okay w that. Need to sand out tool marks and then heat treat...I guess. Still not sure of the whole step by step process but I'm sure it needs to be hardened before I add scales.  Gonna be spalted oak, or at least that is what I call it.

I wanted to leave the forged stamp exposed but I don't think I can do it and get the handle sized as best as possible.  Can't decide if I should sand the whole thing to bright, shiny new metal or leave the character on the blade.

Best, Paul
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:47:13 pm by paulc »

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: hot enough?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 08:32:54 am »
I'd leave the look if it was me. You can also make the scales longer like a partial hidden tang if you wanted a longer handle.

Don't do what I did once and add the scales before you have a good heat treatment. You can redo the heat treatment until you get it right, but not with scales on.

It's looking good so far. I like the idea of leaving the forged stamp too. That would be a nice feature if you can figure out how to do it.
Don