Author Topic: Perfection  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Perfection
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 08:40:29 am »
I have never made a perfect bow because I set my standards of perfection too high. I have never cut a perfect tree or split out a perfect stave either.

If I wanted perfection I would be gluing up glass lam bows on a CNC machined form instead of hacking bow staves out of a downed tree.

I am a little rough around the edges, perhaps that is why I am drawn to similar bow making materials that are a little rough around the edges as well.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 10:49:29 am »
Well I’ll throw my .02¢ in. I don’t think it is possible to achieve true perfection in anything. I think when you throw a widely varying material such as wood in the mix it would complicate it further. I think one would come closer to achieving perfection in tiller with board bows than stave bows simply because staves are varying degrees of imperfect by nature and can fool the eye and tillering aids such as a gizmo. I have ruined several bows chasing imperfections, bows that would likely have been serviceable tools for years. With a good stave minor imperfections can be ok, moderate to major imperfections in tiller will cause a failure in one way or another. 

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 12:13:04 pm »
Each bow's tiller perfectly reveals us.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 12:25:48 pm »
what would you do after a perfect bow ?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 04:04:01 pm »

A perfect arrow?

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Kidder

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 05:45:14 pm »
Build a more perfect bow…

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »
I'm reminded of the publisher who strove to bring out a book with absolutely no errors in spelling or sentence structure and no dropped commas or periods etc.
The book was printed and the first copy delivered to him. First thing he saw was the title of the book was mispelled.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 08:42:14 pm »
      I think there are two ways to look at it, you have the kind of perfection that only God can do and then you have the meeting your goals perfection. For me perfection would be 1/2" set, 185 fps, durable, and reasonably well finished. If I can stay 90% of that range I am a happy camper.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 10:57:13 pm »
The other thing that I keep thinking is that I can probably look at someone else’s bow and see it as perfect, but I bet the bowyer that made it can see all sorts of imperfections the rest of us can’t. It’s like seeing a hinge that isn’t really visible because it was earlier in the tillering stage before you chased it away. It’s still an imperfection, just you’re the only one that can see it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 06:41:26 pm »
its different for everyone,, for me if I make a perfect shot with a bow,, target or game,, on that day at that time, clearly the tiller is perfect..