Author Topic: Hoof/horn overlay question  (Read 848 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Hoof/horn overlay question
« on: November 22, 2021, 04:41:26 pm »
So, I've started messing with these bison hooves.  Got a question.  I'm trying to put hoof tip overlays on a bow that is a little bit uneven on the back (the unviolated outside of a hickory trunk--not extremely rough, just those little waves from the outer grain). 

If I were to take the hoof overlay piece, boil it until it softens up a bit (maybe 5-10 minutes?), stick it on with hide glue or diluted TB3, and then wrap it really good with string to hold it in place while it cools, would it sort of squish down into the recesses and end up fitting flush? 

Seems like it ought to work, and I might just give it a shot, but if someone has tried that I'd sure be interested in knowing how you went about it.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hamish

Re: Hoof/horn overlay question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:57:09 pm »
A photo would help, but it would probably be easier, and just as safe to slightly flatten the back of the bow at the tips, with a file.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 07:25:04 pm »
I’m an amateur bow builder, but I would flatten the back of the tips since they are non working at that point. My thoughts are if you boil the hoofs enough to soften them, then clamp them with enough pressure to conform them to the uneven wood, you would probably squeeze out most of the glue, starving the glue joint.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 02:27:22 am »
flatten it!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 04:39:06 pm »
OK, I ain't real smart, but I can take advice.  Flattened it and glued the tips on.  Worked fine.  :)  I guess the way I was thinking was a bit Rube Goldbergish.  Sometimes I want to try things that way...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour