Author Topic: Sinew Question  (Read 905 times)

Offline Piddler

Sinew Question
« on: November 24, 2021, 08:11:48 pm »
Is there a certain amount of sinew that needs to be used or a standard one or two layers. I see where people used X amount in grams but I don't know if that's a lot or not. I plan on making a short recurved bow maybe 56" to 58". Wanting to make it stiff handled and draw 26 or 27" at #50. Nothing set in stone. Can probably get by with 26 draw.
So how many deer legs to I need to get enough sinew. Butcher shop has an ample supply but they cut the legs kind of short. Most sinew will be about 6" to 8" in length.
Never sinewed a bow before, heck still learning to make them but figured out I need a short one for a few certain situations.
Any tips and suggestions welcome.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Hamish

Re: Sinew Question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:53 pm »
 It depends upon what your goals are with your bow. Use just enough to make the bow tension safe for its intended draw length. If its underweight your intended goal, add more.

I tend to think many people use more sinew than they actually need to, slapping on two thick ugly layers, then another course down the crown.

Re amounts for one bow, I couldn't say because I get mine from in bulk from other hunters that give me whatever they can and I process all of it into finely combed stands, and stick it all into snaplock bags, take out what I need as I go. It might be years before I get around to using it after processing the tendons, so I can't remember how many I originally processed. The stuff last almost indefinitely unless the bugs or some other pest gets to it.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 02:28:36 am »
Process 60 grammes as a minimum and up to 90g.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 03:37:13 pm »
Thanks fellas,
Would one good layer with a strip in the middle be sufficient if I don't overstress it.
I'll weigh some up and see approximately how much it would cover.
Piddler

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 05:18:57 pm »
bowanarra is a bit of a sinew guru. Have you seen his horn bows? I defer to his superior knowledge.

My gripe was people putting on what is close to an entire sinew bundle in one spot, rather than really thinning it out and spreading it out across a broader area. For my method I would normally do two courses.

Not saying the other way doesn't work, just that it can be an overkill, if you don't want a really heavy bow. It doesn't look as pretty, but that's not always a concern of many people.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:54:04 pm »
Got it fellas and thanks for the info. I have some and will process some more. Probably be later on when I start that one.
Happy Holidays
Piddler