Author Topic: How do I make a laminated handle?  (Read 929 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How do I make a laminated handle?
« on: November 27, 2021, 11:31:05 am »
Simple question really, what do I need to avoid when laminating a handle. Presumably don't run the laminates into the fades, anything else goes?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do I make a laminated handle?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 12:45:07 pm »
A pic of your bow would help. If the limbs have a tendency to bend through the handle I use thin lams of graduated lengths to form the handle. By doing this the handle riser will bend a little helping to prevent a popoff. The handle should blend into the fades that blend into the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 02:44:24 pm »
There is no bow yet, but I am planning something a bit more fancy than my usual bendy handle D bow and a decoratively laminated handle with a bit of checkering might be an option

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 03:34:36 pm »
There is no bow yet, but I am planning something a bit more fancy than my usual bendy handle D bow and a decoratively laminated handle with a bit of checkering might be an option
IMO. If you are starting from scratch, lay it up with plenty of extra length and depth so its all of a piece and not an add onafter the event. It can blend into the fades if necessary.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 09:10:05 am »
Nothing wrong with running laminates into the fades, I do it all the time when I have to build up a skinny stave to have an adequate handle. Thin lams properly faded into the limbs will just about insure your glued on handle won't pop off. In the picture the bottom lam is 1/8" thick.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 03:21:03 pm »
If you are planning a laminated bow in backed I would put a power laminated in the back and core, this will help some with popoffs
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%