Author Topic: The Art of Making Selfbows & Wood Fever...?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

The Art of Making Selfbows & Wood Fever...?
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:42:42 pm »
Does anyone here have any thoughts or opinions on these 2 books?

I am always looking to add to my primitive archery library & am considering both “Wood Fever” by Jan Van Der Veen & “The Art of Making Selfbows” by Stim Wilcox.

I recently grabbed Eric Smith’s “The Warrior’s Tools”. It is a decent read...however Eric’s work could have definitely used a whole lot more pictures and/or illustrations (there is at least 1 section of color photos but so far I have not seen any that help accentuate his written instructions & descriptions so far).

Thanks for any responses!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: The Art of Making Selfbows & Wood Fever...?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:11:09 pm »
I have Stim Wilcox's book and it is pretty complete with info. I got to meet Stim at the Classic a few years ago. He did a demo with a sapling he cut from the woods that turned out quite well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 08:48:34 pm »
Both the books you mention are excellent for bowmaking. They have clear pictures and instructions to help you.

One has a European perspective, the other American. Both focus on primarily on flatbows, rather than English longbows.

I'd highly recommend both books for any bowyer.

I liked Eric Smith's book, but as you said its not strong on details, pictures and dimensions for making bows. Bowyers Bibles, Steve Alley books, and Reginald Laubin have more about making Am Indian bows.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:01:40 pm »
“Wood Fever” by Jan is a great book. I’m happy I added it to my collection. He has some of the most thorough and precise diagrams and drawings of any of the bow building books.

Haven’t read “The Art of Making Selfbows”.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 12:50:36 am »
I thought this was going to be a group therapy thread..."Hi, my name is Tim and I have Wood Fever.  My garage rafters are groaning under the weight of staves that are begging to be made into bows, yet I keep rabidly and obsessively collecting more..."

Wood Fever sounds like a good book though - I will check it out!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 03:28:06 am »
Timmy, I'd also recommend Dean Torges, Hunting the Osage Bow, if you don't already have a copy.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:19:02 pm »
Jim Hamm, bows and arrows of Native Americans. Well written

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 12:23:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I think I’ll be adding both Van Der Veen & Wilcox’s books to my library now.

I do have Dean Torges’ book Hunting the Osage Bow...as well as all of the TBBs & all of Jim Hamm & Allely’s works...plus a few other books.