Author Topic: Timberdoodle!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Timberdoodle!
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:29:07 pm »
 I was clearing some brush along my driveway this morning and I caught some movement along the ground. When I looked closely, sure nuff there was a timberdoodle, aka. wood cock. I haven't seen one here in over 20 years. The area where he was is old, planted white pines with springs and drainages so it looked like a perfect place for this little guy with a long, prehensile  beak. I hope he likes it enough to hang around for a while.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: Timberdoodle!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 12:34:02 pm »
it's been a very long time since I have seen any
Don

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 04:03:46 pm »
I see them pretty regularly on our property - lots of times they give me a good scare by trying to wait me out and then flushing at the last minute.  A mama woodcock was giving me the old broken wing act sometime last year, so they must be nesting around that spot.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 04:45:09 pm »
Like our quail don’t see them around the farm anymore. I think the Turkey and coyotes keep the nest cleaned up, TWRA says no ( they love their Turkey) but when Turkeys came on the Sean the quail/ wood cock and most of the other birds that nest on the ground disappeared. I have opened up a Turkeys craw and it is full of bugs of course it also egg shells/ feathers and fur so I know they have had an effect.🤨 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 04:55:05 pm »
We had grouse here when we first moved here. You could hear then drumming in the early mornings in springtime. We do have lots of turkeys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 12:33:52 am »
I was expecting to see images of some gosh awful abomination of the preverted mating of Timberwolf and Poodle.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:36:37 am »
Lots of them up here.  They have an unusual mating ritual in the spring where they fly way up just before dark and then dive while making an odd thrumming noise, they do this over and over until dark
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 12:59:50 pm »
Timberdoodles are on my life list of birds I wanna see in their native environment. They are fascinating birds in a lot of ways. I am jealous of you, Pat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 03:41:49 pm »
Don'tr get too jealous, John. I've only seen 2 in the last 32 years here.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 06:43:27 pm »
Used to hear them here in the spring doing that mating call, seems as thou its been yrs since I have heard them in the spring, jumped one up the other day while checking some trapping grounds, Don't see many grouse anymore around these parts either. Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 09:39:54 pm »
Don'tr get too jealous, John. I've only seen 2 in the last 32 years here.

That's only two more than I have seen in my 58 years!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.