Author Topic: The Gamekeeper at Home by Richard Jefferies  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Strelets

The Gamekeeper at Home by Richard Jefferies
« on: December 27, 2021, 06:31:18 am »
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/36948/36948-h/36948-h.htm

This book was first published in 1878.  The author was a farmer's son and was clearly a very acute observer of wildlife and the human inhabitants of the countryside.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: The Gamekeeper at Home by Richard Jefferies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 07:52:40 am »
Interesting book....I can relate to this book.I used to raise ferrets myself years ago amongst other things.Some exotic pheasants and doves too.Garden for vegetables throughout the year.Always had hounds around for years.Raised coon too.Observe the wildlife surrounding the area regularly.Muzzle loading gun hanging on the wall.Leg traps and live traps stacked in the shed.Custodian and in control of my own little corner of paradise.It's a good life.The more things change the more they stay the same.
When hunting or fishing understanding your quarrys' habits and haunts is one of the important things to learn to be successful.That can take years to learn.Not overnight.In that process you learn to respect them.
People who do not live in this enviornment to attain this knowledge and just visit it will not be as successful.Weekend warriors or glory seekers is what I call them and many times do not respect the wildlife.A sad thing to see happen.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 07:31:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed