Author Topic: Help with knots please  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Gingerbeard20

Help with knots please
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »
This is my first bow and I'm a little confused on how to deal with these knots. Should I just leave them as a big hump on the side and follow my taper lines on the side opposite or should I dip the side opposite in to match the buldge of the knot? This is probably really simple but I'm stumped.

https://imgur.com/a/gb3Hupf

Offline Kidder

Re: Help with knots please
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:09:37 am »
Follow the grain around the outside of the knot leaving it a little wide. Doesn’t have to be super wide, just follow the grain. Don’t dip in on the side without the knot or you’ll have grain runout there. Where you see bows jog to the side like that is where the grain waves, usually around a branch knot that has been excluded from the limb. Good work!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 09:39:57 am »
Do not go thru the final growth ring at the knot and your success will be greater. The growth ring gets thinner at a knot so take it slow and easy. Some guys use a pocket knife to scape with at this point. Good luck with your build. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 01:10:54 pm »
Depends on the area but you need to follow the grain regardless. Some you can go around making the limb wider and that’s usually preferred versus a narrow weak spot. The opposing edge m may have straight or curving grain depending on how close it is to the knot. Just don’t go straight through the knot as that will cause runout on the edge and be more likely to break.

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 09:00:21 pm »
Thank you all for the advice! I got the belly cleaned up a little bit today so I could see the grain better and the knots are a lot closer to center there than what I thought. I did however find a few others that are going to be closer to the edge but I have a decent idea on how to deal with them now. I will post updates when I have something to show, I sure it will be cringe worthy lol

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 07:57:38 pm »
So I have gotten some work done although if it is progress toward a bow or fire wood I will let you all tell me. I have my profile worked in and worked everything down to about a half inch thick except the handle. Currently at 71" tip to tip  1&7/8at the fade taper starts 1/3 of the way down the limb to 5/8 tip. Handle is 1&1/4 square. I think I'm ok with the 3 knots I knew about (A,B,C in the pictures) if I should change anything please let me know. I also had 3 knots pop up while I was working (1,2,3) of these 1 is center just above the fade and I think it will be ok, the other 2 I think I got lucky in that they are extremely close to the edges but did not get violated when working the profile they have like 1 growth ring left. All that said please let me have it, comments, critiques, criticisms, or anything for future reference is appreciated!
https://imgur.com/gallery/8YLo6Fl

P.S. original photos for your reference
https://imgur.com/gallery/gb3Hupf
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:24:32 pm by Gingerbeard20 »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 12:12:00 am »
 Some of those compensations could be made smaller.  eg If a knot is 3/8" wide, you only need to make the bow 3/8" wider at that point. The spots before and after the knots that flow into the edge of the limb could be made smaller too. You are well on the right track, just a little less wood, keep the flow smooth.

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 03:29:02 am »
Thanks for the advise Hamish I will trim them down some more when I get to work on it again, I left them wide because there are nobs on the back of the bow like the knot is running through at an angle and I didn't want to cut into them and regret it. I'll attach the best pictures I have (unfortunately they are before I cut to profile) so maybe you can see what I'm talking about, I'm away from the house for a few days or I would take better pictures. Please let me know if you would still thin them out some more.

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 03:38:35 am »
Here are a few after I cut to profile although they are potato quality.