Author Topic: DIY bow backings  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Morgan

DIY bow backings
« on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:44 pm »
I have a question for those who have cut their own backing strips. I have a severe aversion to paying for something that I can make or do myself, so paying $30 for an 1/8”x2” strip of hickory just don’t sit well with me. I have milled  countless board feet of lumber in years past, and split countless tons of wood, the actual cutting of the strips is not what hangs me up. My concern is this; if you split a log the split face is in my experience never flat. Maybe close but rarely within 1/8”. It dips and rises along the length of the split. If you were to flatten this, there would be multiple grain violations would there not? If you simply quarter sawed the board from the same log, the same grain undulations is there, you just don’t see it due to the sawn face, and it only really shows in certain species that I’ve cut. The backing is ~ 1/8 of an inch, I can’t imagine any quarter sawn backing not having violations on what would be the back of the bow. Does this simply not matter with hickory backing strips?

Offline Hamish

Re: DIY bow backings
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 11:56:13 pm »
What you are paying for with a backing, is the selection of the straightest, clearest wood, and the fact that most of it ends up as sawdust rather than a finished product.

Straight grain gives straight strips.
There is always some degree of violation, unless you saw off a single growth ring, that you have previously scraped down.
Small violations are not a problem, hickory is about the toughest wood in tension. I can't remember the exact ratio but with hickory 1:16 or 1:20 is essentially classed as straight grain. That means  the grain on a 1/8" thick strip should not cross less than 2" length from back to belly on the side. or a 1" thick board the grain should not cross less than 16.

You can find ideal boards that the grain runs straight the full length of an 80" board. Most of the time you won't, so don't reject boards with straight grain for at least 40" sections. These can be used for billet length backings.

Reject backings with even the smallest pin knots. They will eventually cause breaks, unless you can place them in an unbending section, like the handle.

If you need a lot of backings or you want to sell them, then you can successfully saw them. You will probably feel like $30 is cheap after you have made them though.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 01:53:51 am »
Good question and a good reply :)
I will reiterate what has already been said! You cannot expect any wood to hold together with violated grain.....some woods like hickory allow a bit of violation to happen while still being strong enough. I learnt the hard way that what you read eg. hickory is the toughest god darn wood ever...etc but believe me it can and will break at grain violations....just not as 'early' as most woods will.
Pick only the absolute straightest logs you can. Any wiggles forget it.
As you say be wary of thin quarter sawn backings - they are hard to 'read'. On the other hand flatsawn can look like it has terrible grain to the untrained eye but be a perfectly servicable backing. The grain orientation doesn't matter one bit - if it is straight it is straight. Cutting everything on the quarter is very wasteful but I see people doing it. If I find a good enough straight log to cut into backings I want all the strips I can get!
Of course the 'ultimate' hickory backing is to get your straight log and cut thick enough flatsawn strips then chase a ring on them :) No violations :) As Hamish mentioned :)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 02:59:19 am »
A rift sawn or quarter sawn board would work as backing?
I read about bow made of quarter sawn boards but never tried to make one

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 03:33:01 am »
Ash is also good cut quarter sawn.
I've made some good Ash backed Yew heavy bows with the backing grain running like thus viewed on the end, |||||||||||||||||||||
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2020/03/flight-bow-fever.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 08:30:46 am »
If you rift saw it and the rings are straight then you can almost guarantee straight grain. It is a dilemma for quartersawn wood but I haven’t seen enough people differentiate between the two to know if it would be an issue. I think your point is valid though.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 09:54:47 am »
I built my own bandsaw mill about 20 years ago from scratch. There's three different circumstances that apply. There's straight grain, wavy grain and interlocking grain. You cannot cut from a wavy grain tree without grain violations. You can cut from straight grain trees with, or without, grain violations depending on how you orient the cut. For bow work, to cut following the grain for many smaller trees in your first good slab (which have the most knot free wood), you cannot just slab cut, you have to take into account the taper of the tree and cut parallel to the top edge of the log. You may have to wedge the log to get there. Then if you turn it to get a good outer board from the other side, you also have to wedge that. Larger logs tend to be less tapered, so straight slabbing for straight grain works better.

The thicker the slab, the more you can do with it to get bow wood after it's been cut. You can follow grain that runs off the side of the board by ripping in that direction without a fence, just following a line drawn parallel to the grain. After that with a slab over 2" you can rip out parallel grain backing quality strips of that width. That would be done with dry wood and a planer blade.

The third case is with wood with interlocking grain. Two I can think of where it's common are elm, and yellow birch. Often there is no way to slab these without grain violation, but they tend to hang together anyway because it's as if the wood was braided internally like cordage. I don't know whether these would be suitable for backing material with interlocking wavy grain but elm does sometimes work for selfbows even though there are grain violations, rather than following the grain along the outer edge of a stave.

The above are all generalizations, and specific cases can and do vary. But for sawing, that's what I find when shooting for straight grain with minimal wastage.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 09:59:03 am by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 10:28:16 am »
Years back I went to a specialty lumber company and bought a 5/4" x 6" x10' hickory board. I got permission to hand pic the piece I wanted.
I cut the board into a 6' piece and a 4' piece. I made bow blanks and backing strips with it. I cut the backing strips at 3/16" thick. When both surfaces were smoothed the strips came out at about 1/8" or slightly less. I don't remember the exact grain orientation but I never had a backing failure from any of these backing strips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 11:44:58 am »
Something to remember is that grain violation is not a black/white thing, it exists on a spectrum of type and severity. Almost all pieces of board cut wood have some and many of them will work fine for a bow. You have to learn which ones are a hard no and which ones can be used. I don't care too much about a bit of side to side runoff, but waviness or through thickness violations are asking for trouble.

If you think about it, all pyramid style bows have edge violations along the entire length of the limbs and they don't blow up from it. But one pin knot or violation in the thickness may blow at any moment. Quarter sawn works fine if the grain runs straight, almost all of the lams I have made from red oak are some version of bias cut that is closer to quarter sawn than flat and they have given no trouble in that orientation.

Mark

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
Thank you for the replies guys. I thought I remembered reading on here or maybe in a book that quarter sawn strips was the best way to go, seems like flat sawn or rift is the consensus here. That makes more sense to me.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 06:34:52 pm »
I am on the straight grain side of this if there was one. That’s why I prefer the straightest staves I can get my hands on. When I made a bamboo backed flight bow . I decided  to try a boo backed selfbow. I had the wood good enough but was I???? So I had this real straight split but not as wide as I like. So I built as normal spending multiple trips to the heat bench. But I got the back flat enough with out going thru the back growth ring. The bow was heated to roughed out bow. I then heated the bamboo strip so as not to fight it so much during glueup. I hate glue ups . Got it glued up and then trapped the back tip overlays and then tillered it. Ok did straight grain have any thing to do with the bow breaking a world record I don’t know. But it’s the fastest 50# er to date for me. I’m leaning toward straight grain all the way . But I’ve built as many with crooked as I have straight. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 07:08:28 pm »
Morgan, I’ve found pretty thin red oak cabinet filler pieces 2” x 72” at the lumber yard. Those work well for backings at about an eight of an inch and I generally trap them on the edges to reduce mass.  You have to pick through some to find the best grain but they’re pretty cheap.